Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

more power?

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by negatron, Oct 26, 2007.

1. surely there must be ways to give it another 10-15 kms on the top end?

I've heard of 50ccs being "de restricted" and hitting 70+ kms. but i'm not sure if mine is capable of doing it.

2. Welcome to NR, negatron.

Do a quick search on NR (or search the forums via google). There has been some discussion, and the general verdict is that you CAN get more performance out of your wee scoot, but you risk damage. And if you're insured, you risk not getting anything out of your insurer for the mods.

Some may also tell you to just get a bigger scoot, but if you want to stick to scooters without getting a license for something bigger, that's understandable.
  3. Not a risk. You will be decreasing the lifespan of the engine dramatically if you derestrict it and run full throttle most of the time.
  4. A guy got his 50cc scooter derestricted and only got 9,000km/h out of the engine until it blew up. The guy made a thread a month or so ago.
  5. Hi negatron,
    What kind of scooter do you have? And how much are you willing to spend?

I managed to "de-restrict" my Vmoto Monza by removing a washer from the variator in the gearbox, which gave me about 8km/h more in the top end. However most scooters have other methods of de-restriction, such as narrowing of exhaust pipes and ecu or carbie restrictions. probably one of the best things to do would be to do some research and find out what kind of restrictions are in place on your scoot. And as a final note, don't forget that not only will you void your warranty by de-restricting your scooter, but you may also need to re-register it and have a full bike licence to ride it on the streets.

There are also aftermarket mods that you can get to get more out of your scooter, such as sports exhausts, different weight kits for the variator, and of course 70cc rebore kits. However, all of these cost money so you need to decide early on how much that little bit more speed you actually need. Personally, I'm happy that mine can now keep up with traffic and thats all I need. :)
  6. As I said here https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44748 Your scooter is not giving the performance it should be giving as a matter of course. So there's a problem which you need to first attend to. Following that, reboring etc, or just sell it and get a better 50cc scoot, which, if you're considering spending cash on mods just to do the speed limit, would be a more sensible way to go. My first scooter blew up after three weeks. Broke my heart, but there you go when you buy an old cheap scooter.
  7. more power and speed out of your 50cc scooter

i got my bolwell gypsy scooter a 70cc upgrade kit. BEST thing i have spent money on. i can get 70 kms no worries now. 80 is jus round the corner, best to leave the pro to do it for you. well if you can afford it. best to save up like i did. you wont regret it.

also is there any downside to upgrading my scooter like that?
  8. yes there is.....

more power more speed

80km is not enough, now want 100km so i can cruise at 80km.

all = $$
  9. G'day Dark _Angel_6

How is the modified Monza going? Have there been any hiccups or dramas since the mod? I've got a monza I'm keen to tweak a bit :twisted: