Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

more power

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Grimjaur, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Alright i know its only a little sewing machine 175 trail bike (yamaha DT175) But i know it has more power then what its got. This was the old one im talking about but im picking up the new one tommrow. The old one got to 80 nicely but then struggled to get to 100 and over. Ive got new reeds for it a new air filter(not that, that would do much but has to beat the stocky) its going to be rejetted and they dont make aftermarket cans for them :( So im just wondering what else if anything can be done to give it some power instead of only being good for nannas knitting.

If all else fails maybe the stickers, handguards and crossbar pad i got will make it faster :p :p

Oh and if it helps i mainly want more top end without losing the bottom.

2. Ar the never ending search for more power, every mans wet dream.

Is the DT a 2 stroke.

Oh yeah and have you tried painting it red?

3. dt175

hah. I rode a Dt175 today near Rockingham and was hooting and laughing at the end of the ride.
    I normally ride a ttr250 and the dt175 was so much f*cking fun I was laughing.
    Such an angry little bike! :LOL: I don't think it'd satisfy the crusty demons, but it sure as sh*t had me laughing like a sweaty toothed madman this afternoon.

4. Sweaty toothed?

Let's think about that for a minute...

5. The 230 has a restrictor welded in the pipe right up at the port, the 175 will probably be the same. Cutting that bugger out makes a huge difference.

Airbox could probably do with some holesaw work too.

6. Re: dt175

They are angry little buggers. I was choosing between the ttr and dt, ended up with the dt becuase of a slight price difference and the dt has a tacho!!!

Yes it is a 2stroke.

Yamaha said that when they get them they take that restrictor out of the pipe, but also said they may have forgotton on the last one :?

i might try to cut the airbox open some more, that did seem like an issue when getting up to speed. Could kind of hear it gasping for more air if you know what i mean :wink:

7. It aint a bloody honda!! :LOL:

8. Any more suggestions? or we all out?

9. Sprocket change all I can add.....

10. Yeah, it's not power, but if it's more speed you want a smaller back sprocket or a bigger front one will help. Depends what else you want to do with it though.

11. Sprocket. Go with sprocket. Cheap and fairly easy.

12. A new sproket it is then. Any ideas of what size one to get, better to get front or rear? I do mostly real sandy trail riding, and a fair bit on the road too. I want to try and keep that first gear power to keep it moving in the real boggy stuff but i want that extra speed for the road and tight single trails.

13. I'd try one extra tooth on front and see how you go.

I've read on here about changing front and back, but don't understand the reasoning to change both.

On the adventure bike forums they seem to change the front sprocket

14. Going up a tooth on the front or down a couple on the rear will raise the gearing. This will give you extra theoretical top speed, but you will lose a little acceleration at lower speeds. If you gear a bike too high, it won't have enough power to get up to the theoretical top speed anyway.

Going the other way will lower the gearing, reducing your top speed but giving you extra grunt.

Deciding on which sprocket to alter can be a practical matter - for instance, I can't go more than a couple of teeth up on the back sprocket because the chain starts hitting the folded-up centrestand as it runs around the larger diameter rear. Also, one tooth on the front sprocket has the same effect as around three on the rear, so for larger adjustments, use the front, and finer stuff use the rear...

15. ......and make mono's ridiculously easy which is sure to impress bystanders :woot:

16. ......and make mono's ridiculously easy which is sure to impress bystanders :woot:

17. Nah i want to keep most of my bottom end grunt but just get a bit more speed. So looks like i will add some more teeth to the front and take some off the back. BUT sorry for stupidity but if you add one to the front and take a couple of the back wouldnt this mean your back to where you started? :? I would think it would be better to add some on the front or back for the same results. Im sure the back is a 39tooth but i will have to check that.

18. Just be carefull that by adding taller gearing you aren't actually going backwards in your attempt for more speed. By gearing down, you'll make it easier for your bike to pull a faster speed. You stated that you can get to 80 no worries, but things start to struggle getting to 100... Well, you might find that things will get worse, and that you'll still be struggling to get to 100 as efficiently as before, the only change will be that you'll be doing it at a lower RPM, cos your bike hasn't actually gained any extra HP to pull you up to your desired speed.

For example, I had a SS ute, they are a 6 speed and the sixth gear is insanely tall geared to any other car I've ever driven, I could actually get a higher top speed in 5th, than what I could in 6th! (under controlled conds, of course) It's just because the car didn't have the grunt at that low rpm to pull it along any faster and increase it's speed any more.

By adding taller gearing, you'll be kinda doing the same thing.

Another thing you can do is just try it and see which setup you prefer. The great thing is that sprokets aren't very expensive and are easy to change.
    (fronts especially)

With that in mind, my advice would be to start with going 1 down on the front. It will be a noticeable difference, trust me. They are also easier to change and won't be a problem in terms of wearing chain guides etc. You also have more grunt when launching from lights etc, and that's never a bad thing! :grin:

Just my 2cents...

19. Might be time for an upgrade mate. The DT series is closer to an Ag bike than a trail bike. Not really designed for going quick. Very basic in the suspension and frame design too which will hold you back on rough trails.
    DRZ400 would be a good step up.

20. this worked for me, try and relate it to a mountain bike, as you change up, a smaller rear sprocket engages the chain, making it harder to peddle but giving you more speed. if you make the rear smaller and the front bigger, you are getting closer to a one to one ratio. going up one on the front will be like going down three one the rear as far as i know.
    cheers

btw +1 for what mario mendoza said. youll root your accelartion if you do this