Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

More Police on Great Ocean Road for summer

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by jd, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Taken from the ABC website:

The Corangamite traffic management unit has received funding to increase patrols along the Great Ocean Road during summer.

For the first time, Victoria police will also station traffic management officers at Apollo Bay during Christmas.

Sergeant Shane Howard, from the Corangamite unit, says usually police from Colac have to police the area alone.

He says this year, $30,000 from the Transport Accident Commission will allow police from Geelong, Warrnambool and Melbourne to help patrol the Great Ocean Road.

"It doesn't matter where it is, a visible police presence is certainly a deterrent to some poor driving behaviour, our efforts down here in the past have been quite good, we've had certainly a reduction in the collisions during the time that we've been down here," he said.
  2. I often base myself in Anglesea (which has it's own Police and fire station) over the summer and whenever travelling on the GOR at the time, Lorne to me has always has the stongest police presence.