Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

More on helmets in servos

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Gromit, Jul 27, 2005.

1. This morning I filled up at my local Shell/Coles Express servo, and went inside to pay. Helmet on, visor up, cash in hand.

After taking my money, the guy behind the counter asked "Do you know there's a $500 fine for not taking your helmet off inside?".

No, I told him, I wasn't aware of that. Was he sure that's the law? He assured me he was, and that "no helmets inside" wasn't just Shell policy.

I pointed out that I'd been buying petrol at that servo for the past 18 years,and that if I was going to rob them I'd have done it by now. Still, he was certain that was the law.

So...this gives me an excuse to buy that balaclava I was contemplating getting!

It's also given me a research task - to find out whether there is actually a law in Vic that requires you to take your helmet off inside a servo.

Has anyone else heard of the $500 fine?
  2. Wouldn't say i'm 100% sure but I reckon 95% sure there is no such law. It's considered common courtesy I guess to do it in servos, TAB's, Banks and Post offices but I personally rarewly take my helmet off in a servo, will at the other places as they take some time, servo I just change money for petrol.
  3. Sounds like bollocks to me. More like shell policy.

And how the hell can they fine you $500 anyways?
  4. It wasn't put to me that Shell could fine me (obviously they can't), just that there was a law against entering a servo wearing a motorcycle helmet, the penalty being $500.

I strongly suspect this is utter bollocks, but I'll spend a little time researching it anyway.

BTW, this is the first time anyone at that servo has said anything about my wearing a helmet inside.

I think next time I fill up there I'll make sure I'm wearing a Groucho Marx mask under my helmet...
  5. In all honesty, it (the alleged $500 fine) sounds less like Shell policy and more like the delusional rantings of a console Hitler.
  6. Sounds like Captain Stupid was moonlighting as a servo attendant again. It's a "policy" that Shell might like people to follow but we're not Shell employees so are not bound by anything other than good manners. I'd have asked for proof.
  7. $500 dollar fine, I'd like to see them try and enforce it.

Butttox to that!
  8. Store policy yes... but stickers on doors does not make it a law...

If it was the law, they wouldn't need the stickers. They don't need little stickers to say "no armed robberies please" - the law takes care of that.
  9. I think their main motivation is that it's internal policy, and that the console jockey might be disciplined for not requiring the helmet to be removed.

Too bad.

When I go into a servo to pay, I deliberately have my visor up and cash in hand. If it's after dark, the helmet comes off - as a matter of courtesy.

One other point - if they had a sign at the entrance of the servo (out by the driveway) saying something like "it is a condition of entry to this service station that helmets be removed when paying for petrol" they'd be on stronger ground.

It's their property, and they can set whatever reasonable conditions they like for entry - just like you can refuse to allow someone inside your home, or ask them to leave. But there's no such sign. There's probably a sticker somewhere near the door like the one you see in banks - a graphic of a helmet with a diagonal line through it, or similar. I don't think that's good enough.
  10. I did a quick google search and didn't find a thing. If there was a fine they would have it displayed on the sticker which has the cross through the helmet.

The only time i've ever had a problem wearing a helmet into a servo was around 11pm at the BP in Mitham. The guy wouldn't open the door, once I removed the helmet off he did.

I apologized to him, it was a fair call being late and no one else around. He told me he'd been robbed before by a guy on a bike so he's not taking any chances. If there was a fine I think he would have mentioned it.

He might be thinking of banks. Is there a fine for wearing a helmet in there? Again I don't think they show any fines for that there either, but it might be a criminal offence which carries a fine.
  11. bwahahhahahaa i like that....

robber - "stick em up"
    attendant - "didn't you see the sign, no armed robberies PLEASE! :evil: "
    robber - " :oops: oh shit, missed that. sorry, i'll go find somewhere else then"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

but in all seriousness, i dont give a funk, i take my helmet off anyways so it doesn't matter for me :p i spose if my helmet wasn't the seatbelt type, maybe i'd care, but it is so i dont :p
  12. Its bollocks.

I once got asked to remove my helmet, at a shell strangely enough. I asked the attendant if he would ask a woman to remove a burka before she entered the store? (and that is no slight on Islam, it was more pointing to a flaw in their policy) He looked rather puzzled then replied that he guess he probably wouldnt. I handed him the money, turned and left the store. I now only fill up at Mobil servos that have eftpos at the bowser. I find their premium is better than shell, and theres no hassle with having to remove gloves and helmet.
  13. Again don't believe there is such a fine but I reckon you walk into a bank with a full face helmet on and the shutters would be up fairly pronto, at the very least some employee will be asking you to remove said item. Banks carry a shitload of money and for some reason they're reluctant to lose it.
  14. +1 If i ever have to go into a store to pay, these are the rules I stick to.

Interestingly enough, if you get home one day and find someone sitting on your couch watching TV, you cant physically remove them. You can ask them to leave, if they do not you have to call the police. As long as they have not broken anything on their way in, nor have any intent to break the law (eg. assult someone, or nick off with your toaster) then they havent broken any laws. If you remove them with force it's you'll who'll end up getting sucted by the police.
  15. Yes, those employees being the heavily-armed types...

What, including "Trespassing" As soon as you tell them to leave and they refuse, they're technically trespassing and can be charged with it, so long as they're inside your property line. You could TRY to make a case that as soon as they passed that line without your knowledge/consent they're ALREADY trespassing, but unless you have a "keep out" sign and a visible perimeter that can't be crossed "accidentally" (ie: fence) you'll never get that one. If you do, however, they're already "unwelcome" and thus in breach of the law. Add a locked gate to the fence and anyone who jumps it is also technically breaking and entering.
  16. And herein lies the problem. There is actually no such thing as "trespassing". Anyone can enter your property so-long as they dont have to damage anything, nor they have any intent to do anything illegal once they are inside. That comes from the 4 police I spoke to after we were broken into, twice, by the same bloke. On the first attempt he came in thru the roof, not damaging anything on the way in (the tiles were put back, and the grout was probably fooked anyway), and he was found asleep on my housemates matress which was in the lounge room. He hadnt broken any laws and we were told by the police that if we had've infact removed him physically it is us that could have charges bought against us. The second time he pinced a heap of stuuf, so from then on he was a wanted man(and they caught him, and we got most of our stuff back).
  17. i guess thats why u cant kick squatters out.

i have always taken my helmet off, probably wont keep on doing it after i get sick of it :D

18. http://www.liv.asn.au/public/legalinfo/neighbour/neighbour-Trespass.html
  19. Well, wazza, I guess that's about it! :D
    (party-pooper, we could have argued about trespass for hours if you hadn't come along!!! :LOL: )
  20. Bingo. This point blurs the line between "reasonable" and "unreasonable" force. If the person poses no threat, and you have the means to contact police, how can any force be reasonable?