Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

More efficient cornering?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Jimmyz, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Not another corner thread! :)

So here's the story, I've had my license for around a month and a half - although it feels so much longer - been loving it, it is everything I thought it would be.

I've been hitting the twisties regularly, around two to three times a week - when its not raining.

I had one of the best runs the other day, by which I mean I felt comfortable, bordering on relaxed, smooth with the controls and within my skill limit - although what happened next begs me to question whether I really was. I got a fright when my footpegs/boots began scraping around particular corners, I didn't really think I was anywhere near that far over :eek: WHAT!?!

I was wondering what I can do to take similar lines, but at a slightly less intense lean angle? Should I come a little off the seat to the side of the bike almost? I don't know what I should be doing!

I have a VTR250 if that helps.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. #2 Viator, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    The more you get your body off the bike, the less you need to lean the bike over. There is a right way and a wrong way of doing this.

3. Where was your foot relative to the peg?
    On the balls or the back?
  4. I'd say the peg was on the middle/back of my foot.

Ah thanks for that Viator, I'm definitely going to give that a try. Amazing how much less the bike was leaning and how much faster he was going through the corner when he came a bit off the seat, I think this is what I'm looking for.

I shall give an update when I've done another run :grin:.

5. That video was an interesting watch and gave me something to try on the way to work tomorrow.

I have gotten to the point where the toe of my boot sometimes scrapes in a corner, but I have a feeling I am riding as if I am glued to the seat. I shall try hanging more off the bike.
  6. a bit sus about your technique. I've seen learners scrape pegs where experienced riders don't because they either turn in too early or they don't turn hard enough initially.
  7. +1

also, his posted and said he said his foot relative to the peg was in the middle or back.

Its best to ride with the balls of your feet on the peg. I'm really crap at explaining on the net so I'm hoping someone can type it out hehe :p
  8. #8 livingstonest, Feb 22, 2009
    Watched that video, went up the old road today and guess what? It was awesome!

I've never had my knee down before but today i think i had to keep my knee up(was wearing my riding jeans).

I've always felt that i've put my shoulders down when leaning but i think it hit home when on the video it said to put your head out past the handlebar and not to twist your body. So today out there i tried to do just that and my riding was completely different. Felt like i was going much faster and safer since the bike wasn't leaning as much(as said in the video). Another thing is that for some reason i've never found it easier to look through the corner.

Few other comments:
    - it did feel like i was hanging off the bike alot. In reality it probably wasn't that much
    - changing direction needs to be smoother. As i adjusted from hanging off one side to the other there was some bike wobble. Wasn't smooth so something to improve on.
    - also i'm sure i wasn't doing it right cause there was alot of weight on my wrists and i had sore palms afterwards. Still not sure how to grip the bike with my legs if my head is out past the handlebars and one knee is sticking out?

All in all i was very happy with the changes. Felt like i was attacking a corner now not just going around it.
  9. You grip with your outside leg, not both at the same time. :wink:

Plant your outside knee into the tank when cornering and let your inside knee drop naturally. This will provide all the support you need so you shouldn't need to weight the handlebars. I find pushing and slightly rotating my foot againt the front of the peg helps me push my knee into the tank a little tighter. :)
  10. My cornering technique with respect to the lines I take isn't really a problem I think, I've taken these same corners heaps of times and focused on that first off.

As someone else said - I'm riding as if I'm glued to the seat, will also try using the balls of my feet, although when I checked my natural tendency was to be only a tad behind the ball of my foot, I did THINK I was a bit further back than that in my earlier post - its a bit hard to feel the pegs through my chunky boots though and I actually had to sit on the bike to see.

I could still improve there though, but its not like I have much boot below the peg; its not the sole of my boot that touches the road, its the sliders in on the front side of my boot which probably stick out a centimeter or so to the side of the peg.

These are hairpin turns I'm talking about... there are only tight lines and tighter lines to choose from and any deficiency in technique shows up when trying to go through at a decent pace... which is why I choose to ride there :).

I don't know how to link them on Google street view... wish I could.
  11. A small distance between the slider and end of the peg =a big difference in lean angle.

Get the balls of your feet on the pegs, you don't want to change gear or brake mid corner so you don't need to reach the levers. Slide your tootsies back and move your body into the turn. Realistically, you should have no chicken strips on your rear tyre before you scrape furniture on the road. If you have 2-3cm chicken strips on your rear (just taking a guess there) then you should also have pristine toe sliders. If you're scraping your boots, then pay attention to those who suggested changing your foot position. They not only mean well, but they are also correct. :)
  12. #12 conspiracytheorist, Feb 23, 2009
    +1 Very much so, if you get your body lean right you'll get alot more ground clearance.

Lines when cornering as well - remember wide in, tight out of corners(not to the very edge of the lane but close to that side of your lane).

Finish braking before the corner, once you get off the brakes just get on the throttle a mm just so its on, then as you go onto the corner you hold that steady throttle, and once you've tipped in, very slowly but constantly bring on the throttle by marginal amounts. Getting on the throttle a tiny bit means when you do throttle on inside the corner you dont get a surge so the bike isn't upset. Keeping a minimal amount of increase in throttle gets the weight distribution right, keeping the bike more stable in the corner.

And a tip in general for new riders in twisties because at some point you will have a panic moment thinking you've gone in too fast and are going to crash. When you get that oh shit feeling, just concentrate on looking through the corner and lean your body a little more into the corner. Because 9/10 the bike will do it no problems, you just have to commit to the corner.
  13. Motorcycles corner by willpower alone. :)
  14. I've noticed that i lean on my wrists a bit on downhill twisties and really need to break the habit. You're meant to keep your weight centred on the bike so move your arse back and dig your leg into the groove on the tank with the other knee sticking out and your head and shoulder facing the corner.

The idea is you want to open up your hips but not lean off so much that you need to hang onto the bars. I sometimes chuck it on the kickstand and try to get into position with my hands off the bars to get a feel of how my body should be positioned.

We don't live to far apart, we could probably go for a ride together to get an idea of what the other one looks like whilst doing it and possibly picking up little things that could help us get better form.
  15. It's a simple image to help you visualize what often gets discussed..

Hopefully, this will give you guys that are beginning to explore the finer points of cornering technique, a bit of an idea on body position, and the movement made to get you set up closer to the right position.

16. Started trying this last night, a little awkward at first but persistence will pay off in the long run.

Now if only I had a tank to hold onto with my legs.. postie ftw!
    It must have looked ridiculous to everyone watching me go through my little set of twisites hanging half off my little beast.

Oh well, upgrade in a few weeks :)
  17. This was a very helpfull video. I had the best run I have ever had on the bike on the way home up the windies. Not a single car to block my way and was cornering faster than I ever have.

Ill admit, it felt very weird not being dead center on the seat.
    I have gone from scraping the toe of my boot to scraping the footpeg, so my foot has moved further back on the peg as a result of my new body position.

Good fun, and made me feel like I am progressing.
  18. i have watched a few vids on how to lean as such, this one seems to be the best. although i only tried it on my way home from city this afternoon (aka, very few twisties) i did find myself coming out of the few good corners way to quick (for the speed limit :LOL: :LOL: )

good pic john, ive been trying to keep it as such :grin:
  19. Ehehe make that 1.5 cms :p... for the rest... is sandpaper cheating? :oops:

Point taken, thanks for the help it is much appreciated :) will watch the feet as it's obvious they still aren't spot on... now all I need is a dry road, bloody rain is killing me.

Good to see some others giving this a try! :)
  20. Just out of curiosity does anyone hang off their bike to this extent on normal roads?

Or is that only for the really fast corners? ie on a race track