Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

More Economical my Ass

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by tmg, Apr 29, 2007.

1. I know I own an old bike, and I really do love riding it, but the economy is pathetic! 200 k's to a tank before I have to switch over to reserve. I think, personally, that this is just bad. I know it needs a service, but if it keeps going on like this, I think I am gonna have to sell it, as I am spending more money keeping it fueled than my car.

In comparison to my car:

Tank Capacity - 42 litres
    Odometer Reading from full tank to empty tank - Around 330kms
    Engine Displacement - 1500cc
    Number of Carbies - 1
    Dry Weight - 850kg
    Power - 72HP/54KW
    Max RPM Engine has been to - 3500 most of the time.

Tank Capacity - 20 litres
    Odometer Reading from full tank to empty tank - Around 220kms
    Engine Displacement - 750cc
    Number of Carbies - 4
    Dry Weight - 230kg
    Power - 77HP/57.75KW
    Max RPM Engine has been to - 6500 a few times, around 5000 most of the time.

I am not sure which on comes out better, but I was really expecting to get about 300kms to a tank if not a bit more from the bike. I guess it's all in how you drive/ride it that detirmins the economy

2. My vn 800 takes 15 ltrs and normal riding (around town) I get 200km before I hit reserve then I fill up. On the high way I get 220km before hitting reserve.

I did a test when I first brought the bike and another one at 30000km (about 2 weeks ago) from full to empty (took a jerry can with me) and I got 320km the first time and 300km the last time. I notice that I get better ecconomy just after a service (every 6000km) and when I sit on 115km/hr on the high way.

I also own 2 vechiles, the first 2002 VX acclaim: get 450km per tank arround town and 700 km on the highway from 65 ltr tank and 1999 Padgero: get 450km arround town and beach and 750km on the highway from a 90 ltr tank.

so your bikes not too bad.
  3. 200 is low, but my old CB1100F used to only get to 215-200 before starting to run out. My current bike gets about 220.

Once it's serviced it may improve. If not oh well, that's the economy you're gonna get. Better than a V-Max, which gets about as far as a eunuch can piss in cold weather.
  4. Anyone who buys a bike for economy reasons just doesn't get it. I think most people just use the myth of fuel economy to help convince their sheilas to let them buy one.

If you want economy, buy a scooter. Bikes are about passion, not practicality.
  5. Only a 250 but the Spada gets 200Km from 9L....then has 2 L reserve

200Km from 20L tank is a touch on the bad side i'd think....time for a service!
  6. Bike, anywhere between 150-250km from a 17l tank dependant on the way it's ridden.

Car, 600-700km from 68l.

Not much difference really,................

...... apart from the fun factor! (x 1,000,000 on the bike)
  7. ? :?
    I am a 'sheila'
    i get around 350-400km max outa my 21lt tank
  8. It really depends what type of bike it is. For example a CB250 is going to get better fuel economy than my FZR250 with its 4 carbys always trying to dump more and more fuel.

I'm also sure the royal enfields low performance engine would also get great fuel economy.
  9. I've got a Zephyr 750 and I only get around 200 k's out of 17 litres
  10. 450 before she's given all she's got.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  11. Farout...looks like I am not the only one :LOL:, ah well, thought I would get the topic out there. Good to know about other peoples bikes economy numbers too.

Loz man that comment was a bit harsh :p
  12. You could try searching "fuel economy" too, been done to death.

Regards, Andrew.
  13. RF900R 260km @ 20Lt Can get as low as 180km if I'm naughty :p
  14. yea i was shocked to when i got my zx6r. full tank gets me around 180kms and i think thats 17L or 18L and this is 80% of the time riding normal. i think its the other 20% of the time that drinks most of petrol. for me, the bike is pretty much the same econ as a car but i park for free with a bike so i save like 20 bucks a wk.
  15. yea bikes generally have a higher cost of ownership but dont compare apples to oranges EG; 600/1000 sportbikes to small four cylinder cars etc.

i find my gpx250 has ok performance for the fuel it uses but we always want more power and that comes at a cost......
  16. Shhhh don't tell the missus! I work in the CBD and economy is made up of variuos parts, yes petrol $50 a week saving, parking $50 a week saving, tolls $30 a week saving so it does add up. Time I save 1 1/2 hrs travel time a day!

Other side, servicing can cost more, all the gear you need to wear and the overpriced lattes at Southbank.

Bout break even for me. :grin:
  17. I'd be buying a new car, 12.7 litres per 100km sucks for a small 4 cylinder car. :LOL:
  18. Ok over the years I have owned several cars and bikes... and I always took note of the fuel consumption...

Worst fuel economy was on my Datsun 180B (with the 200B engine and 4 carbs) 17L to 20L /100km

Best fuel economy was my CT110 @ 3.2L to 3.8L /100km

But for number of years I have had a funny compromise... Charade and a VFR750 which had the same fuel economy... 7L to 7.5L /100km

My current bike is a fuel gazler.. @ about 8L/100km but the engine is still very young and it is naked... with the fairings I'm told these bikes use about 7L/100km...

From my expiriance the best economy bikes are fully faired 250cc to 400cc twins and scooters...
  19. hmm, on highway, my 675 is 4.3L/100KM (when using shell unleaded 95, if I use a higher RON, I get way worse fuel econ.) according to the instant fuel econ. fuel guage on the bike. Seeing as it's a fuel injected bike, I think the guage is fairy close to the real world bits. I'm going to fill the bike up one day on a 100km free/highway that has another fuel stop 50-150 km along it and then by KM travelled by fuel used to fill up to same level should give me a good reading. Sorry to hijack this but does anyone know a place I can do this? I guess westgate servo (or the one in the middle) to the fuel stop @ corio in geelong is most probably the bestr best? Does anyone think of a better road + servo's to test this out? Thanks :)
  20. dude you are such a smart-ass :LOL:, but I laughed my ass off when I read that one, good call :LOL:

I love V-Twin bikes. I would like to get an SV650s next, just coz they feel like they are floating when you ride them, plus with a full fairing they would look so sexy! :cool:

That's the plan anyways