Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.


Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by Donmotorcyclemaniac, Mar 9, 2014.

  1. Few quick questions, I can not find good information/guides on mopeds.

    When limited to 80km/h I didn't give way to anyone on the highway. Do I have to give way when I am limited to 50km/h?

    Who do I take my moped to get a compliance plate? Mechanic?

    What do I need to put on a bicycle frame to be compliant besides a 50cc motor?

    How much does it cost to get a compliance plate?

    Is there a way to make 50cc engine less noisy.

    I am in Newcastle, Australia.
  2. By giving way to other vehicles I mean if I have a semitrailer up my back side, not an ambulance lol.
  3. Mate, I have some bad news for you.....

    in NSW, there really isn't such a thing as a moped in legal terms.

    You can have a very small motorbike, or scooter, but no dispensations for being under 50cc and speed restricted.

    If you want to add a motor to a pushbike, I think 200 watts is the maximum power that you can tack on, legally, and a 50 cc motor will be way over that.
  4. If a big bastard is up your clacker - give way, no point being right but dead.