Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Monthly 2nd Saturday (9th Feb) Ride Bald Hill -> South (Southern Loop)

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Zippah, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 Zippah, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    Anyone up for a leisurely ride south?

Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 5.59.06 PM.JPG
    Idea is to get a small group together to do a 'leisurely' (i.e. not race pace) ride from Bald hill (RNP) to south coast, avoiding the freeway of course.

Will take a full day with stops- Some roads are bumpy. there is a 2km section of smooth light dirt before Nerriga.

Fuel stops at Woonona BP, also provision at Bundanoon, Marulan, Tarago, Nowra. (Bundanoon & Tarago do not have 98 )

Designated stops:Woonona BP (fuel) Robbo Pie shop, Marulan south BP (fuel) Tarago Pub (not for alcohol) or Nerriga Pub for a break / meet points and the run home can be decided from there. Nowra for fuel if req'd and KV / Jamberoo to finish it off.

Route here:
    Google Maps link

Idea is to leave Bald Hill Carpark at 0900 Sharp.

Might only get a few this time, but it would be nice to make it a regular monthly, to alleviate the boredom of a simple mac pass KV jamberoo repeat event.

I've included those roads for some fun, but getting a little bit away from the coast and coming back is not a bad thing.
  2. A mate of mine in the Fire service advised me this morning that the Oallen ford rd (bungonia) and braidwood rd (to albatross) should be avoided due to the fire danger in the area. There is already a number of fires to the south of the area and that it should be avoided for safety reasons.

So scratch today, and the next one can be in Feb.
  3. I will be up for this.
  4. Is this an L/P friendly ride? :rolleyes::eek:
  5. I'm pretty keen to do this but haven't taken my bike (street triple) onto dirt roads before. How bad is the dirt section?
  6. The dirt section can be taken comfortably at the posted speed limit if you are confident in your ability to ride. Otherwise, just take it a little slower. Nothing wrong with going a little slower. The surface is firm. I have ridden the full dirt section length from Braidwood (nerriga rd) and managed to do that at 60km/h on one of the worst surfaces for a streetbike, so the short section is about 1/10th as bad.

no need to be afraid of the dirt.
  7. Given that the posted limit is 100 km/h in many places, and the nature of the roads, I will say this is not a L/P 'friendly' ride.

Not wanting to preclude a group of L/P platers from attending, so long as you can organize your leader / tail end charlie.
  8. Consider me reassured! I'm in for Feb.
  9. Thread bump

OK. So I did a trial run earlier this week for the southbound section to the dirt on Nerriga. The return northbound sections are already well known roads and shouldn't require any explanation, other than to say be reasonable and prudent in your choice of riding style.

On the southbound there are a few short sections of patchy road, but I have them marked on my gps. It's easily negotiated, no big holes or anything, just a few sections of rough bitumen, but I thought I'd flag this so everyone is aware.

The dirt section to Nerriga is now down to 2km length and is well maintained.

Posted speed limit is quite accurate as are the advisory signs in most places.

So far we have:

10. Just realised I'm going to be overseas for the next few weeks. I'll have to postpone to the next one in march. Also I'm on my Ps but still interested.
  11. *bump*

Any takers? this is next weekend ;)
  12. Mate if it is going to be monthly I'm a strong possible for next month. Gotta get my forkseals changed this weekend. Cheers, browny
  13. It's a regular monthly. With a specific proviso- Unless the weather conditions prevent it from being enjoyable- i.e. heavy rain and gale force winds (like the weekend we just had). Any weather cancellations will be published the day before.

So the next ride is this weekend coming. Sat 0900hrs Bald Hill.
  14. I'm out :( hoping for better luck next month...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.