Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Monstrously Fat Front Tire Drives Sport Bike’s Design

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by undii, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Just came across this the other day on the net, can't recall seeing this mentioned plus nothing came up in searches for this.. So..

Some seriously fat front tyre there! For the whole article, check http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/08/pl_motor_jafm/?pid=2889

2. but it's SO UGLY :p
  3. I'm intrigued as to how it feels to ride with those bars :S
  4. that looks like a Batman bike ripoff
  5. It is an abomination and I would not cross the street to watch it burn
  6. Ugliest thing I've ever seen, worst design concept ever.

Who designs a bike to suit a tyre?????

Americans, that's who. (Apologies to grue.)
  7. No, they design a bike to suit a tire.

The tyre is, I agree, the handlebars I think not, actually I think they are brilliant. I'm very surprised vertical handlebars have not yet been designed onto a sports bike given how long they have been around road bikes.
  8. Yuck.......
  9. Hilarious.

I'd give it a go just to see what it was like.

10. so is the h6 but it's still fun too ride....

i would be interested too to take it for a spin, the handlebar arrangement looks interesting
  11. #11 PhoenixRZNG, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  12. I see what you did there.

The concept itself is terrible, but it has some nice elements, like the handle bars. I can't imagine how it'd feel...

I really like the idea of the inverted levers, that way you have most force on the very end of the lever, were you have the most leverage.

It's not a new concept though.
  13. I find myself thinking "why is the filler cap on the left when bikes lean to the left.
    You'd get more fuel in if the filler was on the right"
    EDIT: wait, it's stand is on the right. weird. That'd freak me out climbing on.

I'd give it a go. If asked where I just was, I'd tell em I was rooting a fat chick to save embarrassment.
  14. Filler cap is where it is because the frame is also the fuel tank....
  15. That bike looks like it should be sitting on a porch rocking a rocking chair while playing a banjo.

I'd still take it for a spin though. :)

It has some interesting design concepts... which have me asking, WHY??? How does it improve motorcycle design? What design inefficiency is it dealing with? I mean, the rear tyre is bigger again so it's not dealing with problem caused by different tyre widths?
  16. Also makes it much more comfortable because hands are naturally in that position.
  17. I would in fact cross the street to watch it burn :D...oh I know..give it to the rednecks in Orange county..them boys 'll turn that thang properly pig ugly in no time.
  18. I recon the brake levers would work really well... Since your index and middle finger are the strongest, having them so far away from the fulcrum would make you be able to pull the lever very very strongly.. Also having them that way would force you have your elbow bent for a good riding position.. Hopefully they put them on another bike in the future.
  19. Seriously, I like it.

I like it alot.
  20. It's perhaps cliché to say "Only in America" but unfortunately there are too many examples of why it's apt...

Attached Files: