Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Monster 1000 fuel consumption increase

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by scsaxott, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Hey all, Around the start of winter my fuel economy quite suddenly dropped from 170-80km to 130-40km before the light was on.
    The only thing that changed around that time was that I raised the ride height a little raising the rear of the bike. Could raising the height effect cause this much of a difference in the fuel warning light? I wouldn't think so but not sure of the location of the sensor.
    Or winter fuel causing a drop?
    There has been no noticeable change in performance of the bike in any way at all. Has plenty of power as always.
    thanks for any input or similar experiences.

2. I have noticed a small drop in fuel economy recently which I put down to "winter" fuel. It is only a few percent though, not the 20+ percentage that you have noted.
  3. Are you still getting the same kms from a complete tank? Just because the light comes on earlier doesn't give the info you need to decide if there's an issue or not. If overall kms are the same then I would say it's down to sensor placement and tank design with the ride height affecting where the fuel sits.

Obviously If your are getting less kms out of a tank when completely empty then there's a further issue to investigate. I can easily get that difference in range as to whether or not I'm having more "fun" haha

Cheers Ryan
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. I agree with what Ryan said, the monster tank (under the covers) is unique in shape and would definitely be affected by the rear ride height change if the front was not also raised.
    It is unlikely your actual fuel consumption has changed that much without seeing issues.
  5. +1 to the above two guys, actually note how much fuel you are putting in each time from the pump and based on the tank size calculate if you still have the range you did and it is just the sensor and ride height giving you erroneous indication.
  6. Agree with all of above. Fuel light is not a reliable gauge of consumption. My experience was that as the sensor (slowly) fails, it can come on either earlier or later. Actually measuring the fuel going in is better.
    And while we're on THAT subject, you can't trust servos not to fiddle the measures on their pumps. For example last week I put '19L' into my 17.5L capacity tank (and it wasn't empty).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. That's a worry, the Trade Measurement Inspector is responsible for checking these accuracies. If you remember the pump and station then report it

Q9. How can I report an inaccurate petrol pump to NMI?
    You can lodge a complaint via the following options:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I suspect at least four or five servos doing this in the inner north of Melb. Perhaps I will take it further.
    But this is a hijack. Another possible cause of the OPs fuel consumption increase is illicit substitution with ethanol.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. thanks so much for all the replies. I haven't been game to stretch many more kms out of it once the fuel light is on so not sure what I'm getting for a tank.
    However I seem to be putting a bit more than 11 litres or so in having done 150km (most of which was city driving or twisties) and also carrying pillion for a reasonable chunk of it. Equates to around 35mpg which I guess is pretty normal for that kind of riding on one of these bikes... Thanks all.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Very strange results indeed ,by lifting the rear you should get better fuel economy because the bike runs down hill more.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Learn to note how many litres you use per 100 km's. Makes things like this much simpler to work out, and also stops you getting stranded when that fuel sensor stops working, or bulb blows...
    • Agree Agree x 1