Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Monotow... towbar attached single bike towing device

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by robsalvv, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Whenever I tow the bike with my monotow, it always generates a huge amount of interest... and scepticism...

Monotow don't seem to be around anymore. Bikers just didn't take to it... what a conservative bunch!! I love it. It takes a little bit of thinking and handling, but otherwise, is a great space saver and gives you options and flexibility!

So here are some pics.

I've done near 1700km with it now.

Of course it's no trailer/enclosed trailer/purpose modded van... but it's a fantastic compromise.

There may still be one in the back of a shop somewhere... make sure it's the heavy duty one.

Edit: speeeelllling
  2. looks like a good idea, but its gonna wear my tyres out.
  3. South African guy I worked with ages ago told me about these, but I have never seen one in action. I think there a marvelous idea Rob but as mentioned,problem is your still wearing your rear tyre and most people will just use a trailer coz they can still fit tonnes more crap in the trailer as well. :WStupid:
    :?: If you hit a big pothole or bump at speed,does the rear wheel launch itself off the ground at all?
  4. I hear the tyre wear thing a lot. I aimed it at the monotow rep too...

Consider this: How many km's does a trailer tyre last compared to the rear tyre of a car??? Why???

Trailer tyres hardly wear at all! (My old man had to replace trailer tyres because they aged and cracked...). That's because they aren't providing drive or much load/force resisting traction... and we're talking of a trailer tyre, which is often freewheeling under weight loads greater than the <200kg of a bike. [The lightest tow bar is usually rated to 1200kg]

A free wheeling tyre wears very little.

Movin, you do tend to drive more carefully - no wild swings and avoid sudden braking where possible for sure. The rear doesn't launch anymore into space over a pothole than it does with you on the bike. The suspension still does its job.

Yes, it's not a trailer... it's a compromise... if you live in an apartment building or already have a garage full of vehicles... where do you put the trailer?? :?: :-k
  5. Good point on the apartment Rob.Im in that same boat.Me and a mate where going to go halves in a trailer few years back but we just aint got the room to give it a home.I used to hire 1 every other weekend when I first started trailriding aways back and could have bought 1 about 3 times over I reckon.So this would be a good alternative.I went to hire a trailer a few months ago for the first time in years and the bahstads wanted 60 bugs.Last time I hired 1 I paid 15$.How much are the monotows?
  6. Yeah it looks great, and I can see the advantages still if your on a trip by yourself then I wouldn't probably take the bike, and if there was more than one person I would prob prefer to ride the bike while they drove.

Still as I said I am sure it would come in handy.

Also just one question. Even though the bike is switched off does it still count the k's as you travel?
  7. In addition to the tyre wear (which will happen even if not as fast) there will also be chain and sprocket wear.

They would be handy for the odd short trip if you are short of room although I suspect it'd be more suitable for a trip to the bike shop than a trip to perth :)
  8. No,Speedo works of your front wheels from a worm gear-looks like a big corkscrew-pull of your front wheel and you will see what I mean,then a square cable goes from worm gear,up to your speedo.So if you can mono everywhere,you will have zero k,s on your bike when you go to sell it :dance:
  9. Thanks for posting this Rob. I spoke to the guys a few years ago at the Expo and was very sceptical as they didn't answer my questions very well at all. Since then, I have not seen one on the road or heard of anyone who uses one.

This piece of equipment pops into my head often enough that I should have another look into it. Is the company called Monotow? Do you have any contacts for them/suppliers?

10. Actually for the CBR250 and my now SP2 both worked of the rear wheel.

The cibby through a worm screw and I'm not sure about the sp2. But yeah both of them worked off the rear wheel ie the final drive side (chain side) of the gearbox.

I guess the cibby would clock up the k's but what about the sp2 with an electrical speedo and display system.
  11. I can see the advatanges of this sort of thing it is just that I don't really want the clock running up while being towed.
  12. [quote="LPCIII]

Actually for the CBR250 and my now SP2 both worked of the rear wheel.

The cibby through a worm screw and I'm not sure about the sp2. But yeah both of them worked off the rear wheel ie the final drive side (chain side) of the gearbox.

I guess the cibby would clock up the k's but what about the sp2 with an electrical speedo and display system.[/quote]

Easy fix,buy a Bandit 1200, :grin: I got 1 for sale
  13. Ahh, nope.

Queensland department of Transport ruled it to be unsafe by some beauracrat decision (reading the rules rather than applying them).

So he couldn't make them official.
  14. Still doesn't help you if the bike is broken down and you need to get it to the mechanic.
    While the wheel on the bike does not have drive applied, a motorcycle tyre is much softer compound than car or trailer tyres. So wear, particularly down the middle, will be significant on long trips.
    I looked at these but in the end I picked up a full 3 bike trailer for only a little more and it costs me nothing to use and doesn't put the bike in any danger.
  15. Buy a ute! :grin: :p then u get a car and a trailer.
  16. The wear on sprockets and chain is minimal too... and if you're worried, just put on a squirt of lube.

The supposed disadvantages are not really an issue... and certainly no reason not to get one... but I guess the monotow fellers couldn't break through the scepticism... and just as I expected, there's plenty in here. But hey, I'm not trying to change someone's mind... just making counter arguments

There will NOT be significant tyre wear, softer compound or no. They did side by side knobby tyre comparo, from here to sydney of two identical bikes, one towed and one ridden... the towed bike had like 1% of the tyre wear compared to the ridden bike.

Regarding trip meters... buggered if I know. My bike has an electronic trip meter and I don't think it counts km's as I pull it along when it's off. If it does... then my bike has had about 900km's less real travel than it shows. [I had a gpx250 before that I used to tow it quite a bit].

Long tows are an issue. My practice is to take a break roughly every hour and start the engine so that the oil gets splashed around everywhere and keeps the drive bearing lubed. A 1min break every hour is not a bad driving practice anyway.

Hey if it's only good for a tow to the local shop, then it earns it's keep... no trailer to hire, no one else to bother to pick you up after you drop off the bike, no taxi's, no bummed rides of work mates...
  17. Kaer, I didn't know that. The guy prolly thought it too much effort to fight the boorokrats... but the conservative scepticism is real!

I've been stopped by Vic TOGgies and never had a problem with it.

Lil, I don't think monotow exist anymore... the web site is defunct. I know that some of the major shops had these monotows on the floor as of a couple of years back... they're probably now collecting dust in the back or the guy behind monotow has a garage filled to the brim with unsold stock.

I found this archived web reference:

The Windsor address was where I physically went to pick mine up, though I bought it at the expo a few years back.... he might still be there??!
  18. Whilst I like the look of it and the idea is a good one I think it is important to mention something here. That 1200kg rating you are talking about is towing/draw capacity it is not leverage/weight on top of the ball capacity. Towbars are intended to draw not carry loads. Some smaller cars barely have enough strength to carry a bicycle rack, but can draw decent trailers.

Having fitted the towbar to my car I know I could never trust it with the weight and movement of motorbike attached via a device like that. It is fine with my downhill bike and a very solid single track GripSport rack, but anything more would be asking too much. It would however draw a trailer along very nicely due to the way it is designed and its mounting points.
  19. kinda the point... if you got room and use for a trailer, you'd automatically go a trailer.