Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Monday Quandry

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Life is full of little mysteries, many made up to create fodder for silly web-sites, as in "why do they sterilise needles for lethal injections?"

But here's a serious one; Why is it that when you're driving and looking for an address, or reading a street directory, you turn down the volume on the radio?

I know I do it, and I've never been able to understand why.

If you can supply an answer, I'll turn down Netrider while I read it :LOL:
  2. The same reason people turn down the radio when you say, can you smell that?

Then again most people can't do two things at once. lol
  3. I don't. But if if i did, it'd be to help me concentrate.
  4. I used to do ithat but since reading that people do it, I don't anymore. It's just a thing we think (well some people, mostly males) need to do. Why do women turn maps to read them?

Maybe try reading the book mentioned here http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1175/is_6_33/ai_66278325

And try reading this http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/package.jsp?name=fte/womenmaps/womenmaps
  5. i like to turn off the 'white' noise when i need to do something like that - i don't need to do it, but essentially it does focus you on the task at hadn, i mean hand....
  6. OK so you're saying to try NOT doing it??

I'll let you know how I go, although I should warn you that at my age it's hard to concentrate on even ONE thing at a time :LOL:
  7. Yeah its just to help me concentrate....same reason why i don't wear ipod while riding
  8. Yeah I don't turn down the noise now. Sometimes I still try to (natural reaction) but I tell myself off (mentally, I promise!) and keep things 'as normal' when needing to "look for a street/number, something similar :)
  9. It's because mens brains are programed to focus on a task. Woman are more effective at multi-tasking. Men are better at spatial awareness. It comes down to programing. Men as the hunters= requires focus. Woman as the "do everything else at the same time"= requires multi-tasking.

I read that in a book called "Why men Lie and Woman Cry" Couple of doctors wrote it but you can't always trust doctors so it may be complete rubbish. But it sounds good!
  10. Im always on the bike so cant turn the noise down :(

but yeah if I did it would be to concerntrate better.

i always realise a second too late that the turn off is aprocing... passing... passed :(