Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Monash public forums on accident research

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by nous, Aug 20, 2007.

1. A public forum on accident research via the Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC).

Would be good to have motorcycling and scootering representation at this forum. Come sign up to offer feedback and discuss future directions of current Accident and Injury research.

Facilitated by Jon Faine of 774 ABC Melbourne.

Book a place and get more info here:
  2. Jon has become tiresome recently. He's lost all sense of fun and you can hear his resignation in his voice when he talks. The only saving grace is that he's a classic car nut (and I think ex rider), so there might be some semblance of balance.
  3. I would love to be there, but I'm (surprise, surprise :roll: :evil: ) working. :evil:
  4. Sorry Cheng, I wasn't aware of that. As I said, he's a car nut, but recently in the mornings he just sounds depressed. Maybe getting him talking about cars and safety will have him energised.
  5. Oh no, I didn't mean that Cejay, just supporting your comment on the 'semblance of balance'. I don't get to listen to enough of him these days.

We'll could open the forum to the tune of scores of us making general engine-revving noises :)

That's alright, lil, I'll be taking notes.
  6. What about Suade doing a nice a cappella number too!
  7. They've got the 'Grease' megamix! Perfect! :LOL:

The forum looks very general; an entry-level sort of discussion.

I also noticed the event description mentions 'drive, cycle, and walk' rather than 'ride' to cover both bicycles and motorbikes.

At best, I hope it's a good overall chance to hear from all sides.
  8. Interesting. All the speakers are either part of the beauracracy or affiliated groups that depend on the road safety campaigns for their livelihood. Not that this bars them from being speakers, I'd have thought that a transport speaker advocating private transport would also have been worth having.

In other words, someone to offer the positives that come from private transport. I cannot imagine that either the coroner or the TAC would be an advocate for motorbikes. The Amy Gillet foundation will champion safer cycling and MUARC are tightly entwined in the safety industry. At least Harold Scrotum won't be there. Mind you, if you wanted anyone from the motorcycle lobby groups, who'd you pick? (who is eloquent and knowledgeable).
  9. I would have thought someone from VicRoads would have (should have?) been on the panel too...
  10. Bumping this just in case there's anymore interest. It may well turn out to be very anti-motorcycle and pretty basic, but I'm a fan of subverting the system from within... :)
  11. I registered and planned on being there, but was reminded this morning of a scheduling clash which means I now can't go. Sorry.
  12. No worries Jase. A few words were thrown in (not by me though) and Netrider may get to play a part in future research.

I'll mention the motorbike-related stuff first.

95% of talk was about cars and cyclists, any mention of motorbikes only highlighted how dangerous they were (surprise!).

Jon Faine has ridden for 30 years and felt that there are too many young motorcyclists who go straight on to motorcycling without getting driving experience first. I think he briefly tried to raise the value of LAMS, but was pretty much ignored.

One of the panel members (trauma director at the Alfred Hospital) talked about his disdain for bikes and how he wouldn't let any of his children ride.

I got passed over at question time (my colleagues organised the event, so I was at the back and noticed last). But an NR lurker, Susie, raised the need for situational awareness across the board and proclaimed that she was a proud rider. Woohoo! :) There were quite a few in audience who went up to her afterwards to thank her for mentioning situational awareness.

She was approached by an Engineering professor at Monash who could do with input from motorcyclists into some initiatives they're planning. Susie will post her own report and how we can help when she gets a chance. Good on ya!

In summary:

1) All road incidents are preventable
    2) Performance limiters and safety technology (e.g. ABS) should be combined with education, awareness, behaviour influencers (e.g. booze buses)
    3) School-based education on road safety and risk should start much earlier
    4) Prevention is more valuable in the long run than punishment for offences already committed.
    6) training and education should include experential elements e.g. put new or learner drivers out there on bikes and bicycles to understand what it's like to be in traffic and in that situation.
    7) Vehicles should be subject to regular inspections for safety (e.g. other countries where yearly vehicle safety reports are compulsory if you want to keep your car on the road)

Things that could've been mentioned. Coulda woulda shoulda. But here's what we wanted to raise:
    - the growing number of scooters and motorbikes on the road, that fact that this isn't going away, and long-term approaches to ensuring that they're incorporated into the plan
    - training, i.e. better training for new riders, defensive riding skills, bike awareness
    - Subsidies for said training
    - whether there's anything similar to the Amy Gilett Foundation, i.e. a dedicated research group for motorcycle road safety.

I'll try to source a recording. It was a thought-provoking night and I wish there were more of them (and more of us at these lectures) to stir the pot.