Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

monaro hwy

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by jasonw, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ive heard that the monaro hwy is a bad one for speed detection devices
    is it all the way or just certain spots?
    any fixed cameras to look out for?
    we are going from cann river to past canberra
    thanks

2. I rode down from Bombala to Cann River in November and saw signs and a spotter in a car watching for horse floats during the horse flu epidemic.
    In the past I've heard the police are more often to be seen up towards Cooma. The road seems to open up more as you go further North.

3. There's usually at least one between Canberra and Cooma every trip... only seen them two or three times Cooma to Bombala and not at all Bombala to Cann River. That's not to say they're not there, just I haven't seen them and they must have ignored me :LOL:

:)

4. The Monaro Highway has always been brutally policed, and with good reason. In winter the ski traffic in both direction by and large treat the speed limit as an unnecessary interuption between drinks, and in summer the 'wide-open-spaces-this-is-a-million-kilometres-from-anywhere' feel of the place does much the same thing. Kangaroos and wombats are a clear and present danger; I counted over 100 live roos in sight of the road in broad daylight between Cooma and Canberra, on one trip, and countless dead'ns as well.

5. and don't forget it's the Mon-air-o Highway not the Mon-r-o highway as per the Holden car :p

6. Heavily policed in places and boring for most of its length to boot.

If you want some great corners go the Bonang, just be prepared for around 20 or so kays of dirt.

Garry

7. +1

8. Which is interesting when you consider where teh Holden name came from.........

Regards, Andrew.

9. A guy I work with in motorsport originally came from Canberra so mixes it up all the time so my favorite saying is to Drive a Mon-air-o down the Mon-r-o highway to stir him up....... :LOL:

10. thanks we will be from cann river to bombala mid to late afternoon and bombala on in the morn so will keep an eye out for wildlife and have to pull on the reins a little just in case plod is hiding in the bush.
    and im a bit of a bogan so its monaro as in holden :p :LOL:

11. there is a red marked, yellow marked, purple marked, white unmarked, silver unmarked plus two white marked highway vehicles that patrol that section. red, yellow, and purple are xr8's and the two unmarked are bommodores.
    high presence, just dont play up too bad and it wont be a problem :)