Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Molten RHOK - Installation and other things.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by minglis, Mar 29, 2012.

1. I was lucky enough to score one of Takamii's Molten RHOK wheel light kits.

This is a record of my experience with it; installation, impressions, feedback etc.

First of all I have ZERO experience with electrics. This has been a massive learning experience for me, and I've enjoyed it very much so far.

The first phase of this was receiving my kit from Takamii, which I got in the mail yesterday.

I also purchased some extra bits from Jaycar (I spent about $10) so that I could add a switch to the system:

The switch has a rubber hood, which I figured would be good for being water resistant.

OK, now to work out get it installed.

First, I gave the bike a good clean, paying particular attention to the wheels and locations where bits would need to be stuck down. Bike cleaned, I then started to work out the installation process. Now, to be clear here, the instructions say that installation should take 1-2 hours. Now that I understand how it should be put together, I agree that this would be about right (maybe a bit longer if you take your time and be very careful... not a bad thing). However, for me, fumbling my way through, and trying to learn about bike electrics at the same time, this has been blown out of the water. So far, I've spent about 3 hours, and pretty much just got the rim tape installed. I HAVE also gained knowledge of the bike and mapped out how the system will be installed. Time well spent IMO.

While the instructions suggest installing the rim tape last, I was desperate to get SOMETHING achieved last night, so, I've installed that first. (actually, my wife did that bit. I'm horrible at that kind of thing.)

With the help of a friend, I was then able to understand the electrical system on my bike (well, enough to know where to connect this to). For me, this was by far the biggest hurdle of the experience. The instructions suggest to connect the system to a positive power source that is after the ignition (so it turns off when the ignition is off). OK.... I fully understand that concept. No problem... When it comes to ACTUALLY knowing where that can be found?? ZERO clue. (NOTE: The instructions do say that they assume you have some experience with electrics).

Now, I did actually work out before my friend came over that I would like to connect it to the horn. I figured, I'd stay away from lights of any sort, as shorting out the horn seems less dangerous to me than any of the lights on the bike. I even managed to get to the fuse box, and work out which wire was the correct one for the horn. So far, I had be suspect, but, I really didn't know if I was completely full of shit, and it would be a bad thing to do. Thankfully, we were able to verify that it would be fine to connect there, and we even tested one of the LED lights by connecting it to the bottom of the horn wire where it connects to the fuse box. We tested it with the ignition on/off etc and it all went really well.

My other hurdle was working out the scotchlok connector. Seems silly, but, I just couldn't see the gap that allowed a wire to feed into the side of it. This had me baffled. I was sure that it should slide over an existing wire, and then put the new wire in the end of it, but, I just couldn't see a gap there. It took my beautiful wife to point out that I am indeed completely blind, and that there IS a gap (albeit, a very small one). By this time, it was late, and I needed the bike for the morning, so, I figured it was time to leave it there, and get back to it the next night.

I will add more once I've installed the rest of the system (should be tonight).
    • Like Like x 3
  2. I look forward to the next part
  3. So Mez, whats the latest?
    Taking any vids of this process yet?
    You are a spoilt man Matt, but I;m sure your wife will say you're well worth it, with the power, you could have attched to the tail light, always on when ignition is on, I have my heated grips using that source, just an option. The blue tape looks good too!!
  4. Tak, I didn't include any pics of the contents of the package. I wasn't sure if you wanted that info out there at this stage. I can add a pic of the components if you are ok with it, otherwise, I'll just leave it out as is.
  5. Don't I know it!!

Yeah, I've been thinking about this all day. Because the switch will be a the front of the bike, I'm actually thinking maybe of attaching into the head light near the front of the bike. That way, there's one less wire I need to feed under the tank and back to the middle of the bike again. I can then run the one wire up the the front (to the switch) and from the switch straight to the head light wire for power. Only need to run the to wires for the front LED's back under the tank then. I'll think about it and decide before tonight.

yeah, I really like the blue actually. Very happy with it.
  6. good thinking - just leave it out at the momment
  7. its actually glowing in the pics you posted from the ambient light
  8. Personally, and this is in my opinion, I'd take the tail light so if things go bad I'd have a headlight to be seen up front. Mind all will be well and all things will work. just my two bobs worth, for the young ones, that's my 20c worth :)
  9. I'd just ridden it to work. That pic was taken this morning in our basement carpark. I figured it must've picked up some sunlight on the way.

yeah, I did think about that... Still thinking it through.
  10. I wouldn't really be game riding around without either. At least with the headlight you should notice quicker.

However the lights are running on a seperate in line fuse so there is no risk of stuffing anything up.

I ran mine through the tail light because it was the easiest positive wire to access.

They are looking good though, I would totally give you a nod.
  11. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here's a few shots of mine I just took. You can see even in broad daylight they are fairly obvious. I'll get some better shots tonight.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ohhhhhh, was looking at the Aqua, but that blue does look nice. I think it will go well with the CB400 Blue

Cleaning my wheels will be the hardest... Maybe time to put the other half to some use :)
  13. there will be more pictures and video soon of all colours to assist you all to make a choice ( those that are interested )
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Here are the yellow, blue, orange and aqua

Attached Files:

15. some more

Attached Files:

16. Installed.... (I'll provide pics later on).

Well, I certainly learned a lot during this experience. I probably spent another 3 hours or so on it last night.

- I did end up connecting it to the horn.
    - I found the install process a challenge due to my lack of knowledge, but in the end, if I could work it out, most people should be able to
    - I just could NOT get the connector piece (5 way connector) to work. No matter what I did, the wire just pulled straight out. looking into it while lifting the lever, it didn't seem to move at all. In the end, I just soldered them all together.
    - switch works really well.

I was interested to see Takamii's photos up above ^ with the different colours on each wheel. It seems from those pictures that the blue is the least bright of all the colours? This probably lines up with my total impressions last night when I took it for a ride. You certainly can't see the wheels light up (light cycle style) but, you can see the bike wheels much more clearly than just with my plain black wheels. In the end, it seems that it will add to my visibility, but will not make me stand out outrageously. I suspect the best way to get a bright glow with the blue might be in really dark back roads at night. I'll try them up reefton at night some time and see how they stand out then.

Tonight I'm heading off to my folks house after work. On the way home, I will be coming up the freeway in the dark. My wife will be driving the car back, so, this will provide a great opportunity to see if she can notice me any better. I will get her to bring the go pro as well and get my daughter to film me.
  17. Here is side by side pics of my bike. Both are taken in the morning when I arrived at work in the underground car park under our building. The first one is before I installed the LED UV lights. The second is with the LED UV lights installed. There appears to be a slight difference during the day time (note that even without the UV lights, they would be absorbing sun light anyway). The big difference OF COURSE will be at night. I will endeavour to do some night shots with the first having the lights off and the strips totally discharged, then I'll take it for a ride with them on and take another shot to see the difference.

Attached Files:

18. Blue is the least brightest

however we have improved the blue kit by adding 14% more cross sectional area to it than the version you received (and 33% over the original)

The new yellow was increased 33% over the original yellow hence it works better

The first picture below is the prototype yellow
    The second picture is the production yellow

you can clearly see a marked improvement

Attached Files:

19. is it the tape or lights that have changed? If tape, does that give people the chance to upgrade the tape and leave the rest in place as it is? If so, do you have a price in mind for JUST the new tape? Just curious.

EDIT: I assume the LED lights are the same for every kit and it's just he tape that changes??
  20. I'd be interested if there's a reflective orange version? Or even a bright one like the updated yellow