Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Molten RHOK - GSXR-750

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Archaeon, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Alrighty. Time I gave a formal review of RHOK industries new Molten RHOK rim stickers.

Colour Set : Orange
    Electrical Skill Level: Novice
    Total Prep Time: 30 mins (Cleaning, assessing wiring layout, removing fairings)
    Total Install time: 90 mins (excluding breaks and minties (ie, doh, duh, bugger, whoops!) moments)

After collecting the Molten RHOKs from Felix, I wasted no time in getting started with the installation. I originally had reflective red rim stickers on, which I absolutely loved. I will point out here that I was very undecided about whether to replace the reflectives with Molten Orange RHOK; however as more and more pics came to light, they began to grow on me.

Step One: Preparation

First things first though, after reading the instructions, and checking all the parts to make sure I knew where everything was supposed to go. I assessed the bike and drew a mental picture of where I was going to install the lights, and how the wiring may be hidden. Putting the bike on a rear stand, I removed some of the side fairings and the seat(s), disconnecting the battery while I was here. I spent a whole .02 seconds reminiscing how happy I was when I stuck my reflectives on... before I made haste in peeling them off my wheels - though I peeled gently, it still left some sticky remnants, which I wasn't too concerned about. As long as there were no chunky bits left stuck on, it was all good!

Step Two: Cleaning

This was a breeze for me as I generally keep my bike well maintained and looking schmick. My main choice of cleaner was kerosene ($2 or less from coles, bunnings etc). Dabbing a sponge with kero, I wiped the rear wheels (not tyres), spinning the tyre as needed. applying some gentle pressure to the rims made quick work of the sticky remains of my reflectives. The rest of the wheel was a breeze. I followed up with a a clean rag, wiping it dry. I proceeded to the front tyres, which needed a little more effort, seeing I had to roll the bike back a few times to clean the whole wheel. (oh the pain, should've hired some schmuck to move it for me :-s)

After the wheels, I wiped the frames with my trusty kero sponge, drying them afterwards with a clean rag. Using some waterless wash, I sprayed and cleaned all other areas of the bike that needed to be cleaned, applying some to a cloth and wiping the battery housing and wheel fairings. OoOoo so shiny.. Ahem...

Step Three : Rim Stickers

Although this was supposed to be the last step, I had planned to take a break before starting with the wiring, so I stuck the rim stickers on. This was a breeze, though I might just say, it may be better to have no overlapping. These stickers were thicker than my reflectives, as such, the overlaps are quite noticable. There were a few areas where I had to peel and re-stick, but no dramas.

1. Close up of front reflective rim stickers, no flash or lights
    2. Side view. A noticeable difference already - without the lights being fitted.
    3. Close up of rear RHOK rim stickers, without flash or lights

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Step Four : Wiring

Before I begin, I must say I have zero electrical knowledge, and the only things electrical I've ever done on any vehicle were changing light bulbs, replace fuses and replacing batteries. So this part arguably was the most time consuming for me. There were a few "Doh!" moments and a couple of "WTF?!!" thrown in, and the occasional "Hmm.. Whoops!" moments. For the sake of this review, the wiring time would be about 30 minutes, had I knew what I was doing - like determining what an earth connection was (rewording it to negative in the instructions would've saved me about 10 mins alone lol)

Anyway, following the instructions, I attached the lights to where I decided to mount them earlier. Then I ran the wires along existing cables, making them as inconspicuous as possible with some trusty cable ties at the right places to hold them together. Taking special care to ensure the wires do not come into contact with the chain, the rear left was surprisingly easy to run to the battery; however the light on this side is also the furthest away from the rims, as there were no other suitable mounting positions that were closer.

1. Front Left
    2. Front Right
    3. Rear Left
    4. Rear Right

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  2. [​IMG] [​IMG]

The 5-way connector levers go all the way up at 90 degrees (This also could've saved me about 30 mins.. doh!). With all the wiring done and out of the way, I had a little trouble making them turn on. This was later discovered that I had an extra black wire which served no purpose connected to the 5-say connector, while the actual RHOK negative wire was hanging around waiting for happy hour to get hooked up ("WTF??.. oh... Ahahahahaha... whoops!" moment). Then as the saying goes.. "Let there be.... liiiiiight!!"

1. Rear Left
    2. Rear Right
    3. Front Left
    4. Front Right

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Step Five : Test

With the lights on, rotating the wheels after about a minute of exposure showed extraordinary changes to the rim stickers. The distance between the light and the rims plays a huge role in the amount of light being absorbed by the stickers. As you can see below, the difference between the rear left (furthest proximity) and the rear right(closest proximity) says it all. The rear right clearly looking as though the rim is burning hot.. Molten RHOK!

1. Rear Left
    2. Rear Right

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Final Verdict

Installation: Overall the installation is quite simple. Thinking back on the actual installation, if I were to do it again with the knowledge I have now, it would probably take me 30 mins to complete. The 5-way connector and earth reference got me using up all my life lines, reading the instructions word by word to see if I missed anything, googling .. even phoning a friend! There were moments while reading the instructions where I had to re-read a few lines to properly grasp what needed to be done, but that's probably because I suck at electricals, so for a complete noob like me on anything electrical, this was quite a cool mini project! The actual installation was very easy, and other than the wiring, it really was a piece of cake. In terms of a score out of 10, with 1 being too hard and not worth the effort, I'm give it a solid 8.

Effect: Comparing these to the red reflectives I had on, it is a very tough call. I loved my red reflectives because they stood out wherever there was light.The advantages of the Molten RHOK is they are noticeable all the time provided they have had time to absorb light in advance. It isn't really fair to judge these against the reflectives, since regardless of angle, where ever there is light bouncing off them, they will be seen - that's the purpose of being reflective afterall. But I must compare these with similar products offering similar effects. Comparing these to normal rim stickers, they are definitely an improvement. On the scale of 10, with 10 being reflective grade notice-ability all the time with or without external light sources bouncing off them, I'll give these a solid 9. The ingenuity of applying a light source to constantly charge the rim stickers brings these very close to being seen all the time, until the charge wears off. Considering that if the bike is within ambient light sources, the reflective rims would in my honest opinion out shine the Molten RHOKs, but that's kinda comparing apples with oranges.. One is re-emitting light, while the other is reflecting light.

Value for money: For what they are, they aren't too bad. Considering a decent set of reflective rim stickers would probably set you back about $20 the Molten RHOKs are pricey by comparison. At the end of the day, it really is dependent on what type of look you're after. If you are after an always on look, without the intermittent fading in and out of notice-ability as you would get with reflectives, and probably not at all with standard rim stickers, then these would be the ones to get. You're only ever going to install them once (unless you decide on changing the colours or something happens which necessitates them being changed). Bang for buck, for what they are. With 10 being an absolute bargain, I'm giving it high 6. Understandable where the costs are coming from, but a similar effect can be achieved at a fraction of the cost even though they may not always be on, so to speak. Additionally, should one of the lights fail, they will need to be replaced, whereas normal rim stickers don't have any "maintenance" issues to worry about. If budget is a concern, then you really have to weigh up the pros and cons between whats available and your personal level of effect you want to achieve.

And the final result? During the day, they RHOK pretty hard! I've taken a step back a few times to see them at night, and they do glow, and stand out; however they seem to blend in with surrounding ambient lights like brakes, indicators, orange street lights etc. However in poorly lit areas, they definitely stand out. Video of these in action to follow shortly.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. ooo so that's how they look to the average stooge on the sidewalks or in a cage :grin:

I definitely want to get my GoPro mounted to a mates bike while cruising somewhere now! Or have someone else ride my bike while I record them!

I'll upload a clip as soon as I can get it done!
  4. Impressive write up! Nice job.
  5. LOL you check out scarfo's other video? Looks like he's stolen a bike with flat tyres before.
  6. Took it for a run with my GoPro cam stuck onto the bike from various angles. Having seen this for myself now, along with Scarfo's I don't care as much as I did before about orange not being as "bright" as the other variables.

The Orange is the only ones that can give your rims that burning, hot iron look.... And if you haven't noticed already, I absolutely love the red hot Molten RHOK look!!

... oh.. and I got a fine for speeding when I took these tonight.. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. There's no sound in the vid - all just wind and engine
  8. Wow..... what a write up. What a pisser getting booked. Dont loose your licence, Sophie's almost there and I'll be bugging you for Nasho runs very shortly !
  9. ha that was my mate on the pushie.

Nice write up Arch

tron battles to follow
  10. Just thought i'd update this thread with a recent experience with the molten RHOKs.

I had my tyres replaced on Saturday in prep for my 3-day CSS @ EC, and I noticed that one of my UV lights had been taken off and stuck onto the mud guard thingo.. though I didn't notice till I got home..

Anyway, since it was plucked from where it was, clearly to remove the wheel to replace they tyre, this got me thinking on alternatives so that I don't have to hunt for double sided tape to reposition and restick the light everytime the wheel needs to come off...

3M Dual lock tape was the answer baby! I had ordered these a while back from ebay for something else I was sticking. Works like a charm!

Very secure and 5x tougher than velco (so it is claimed), and piss easy to remove and stick back. A tip when sticking it on for the first time... heat the adhesive, a lighter works fine just don't burn or melt it. The heat makes the adhesion much, much tougher.

When you attach the other side (which will be stuck to the light or brace etc) offset it by about 2-3 mm so it you can slip a finger under it to detach easier.

This stuff is the same velco-like tape used to hold parts of my fairings to the bike, very, very tough - 2x 5cm strips are holding up a large framed canvas picture in my living room and it doesn't budge unless I forcibly try to remove it from the wall.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Because I wanted to move the lights closer to the rims to intensify the glow (orange starts to fade immediately when the light is not on it) this has resulted in the light obstructing the tyre when the wheel needs to come off. Having the dual-lock tape will avoid the hassle of replacing the double sided tape every time.

Here's a pic of the light attached to the frame using the 3M lock tape, the same day I got my new tyres. much, much more convenient. Might get around to doing the rest when I find time.