Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Moisture and Electrical issue

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Jimmyhotdog, Sep 7, 2006.

1. How common are freak electrical occurances with motorcycles and moisture?

I rode in the rain again yesterday morning!
    On the way back home I had a mysterious electrical pop/arc sound followed by a single backfire!
    I think it was caused by the water turning into steam that didn't totaly dry!

2. Sounds more like an H/T lead went quiet for a moment.

Bikes don't have (much) bodywork so water does get to them: gets in switch blocks, electrical connectors, is sprayed up onto plugs and leads.

The manufacturers do pretty well to keep things weatherproof but god always wins in the end.

3. Thanks for the info Heinz_Guderian as it hasn't re-occurred since and I was just querious.

Have many riders experienced this occurance?

re:The manufacturers do pretty well to keep things weatherproof but god always wins in the end.
    It was a shock to me when I did engineering and found out the nothing was perfect!
    Its that damm Murphy I tell you "Anything that can go wrong will". hehehe

If you see him I'm sure there are a lot of people looking for him!

Let me know I'm one of them!

Cheers

4. Yeah I get a bit of water in my plug wells sometimes. Runs on 3 cylinders untill it gets a bit of heat into it.

Older bikes tend to get cracks in there wiring harnesses too. This attracts water and manifests itself in any number of ways.

5. Hi ibast,

I guess there is little that can be done!

thanks for the input!

Cheers

6. You are always likely to get water ingress into the electrical sockets,plus that's why when you are doing a service or general maintenance its worth while to clean all electrical connections to prevent any excess build up of carbon,rust and all things nasty.

Allan

7. If you know where it is, spray a bit of wd-40 about.

Believe me, I once owned a Mini.

8. Hi Scottish,
    That's a good point in regards carbon deposits but I generaly keep on top of it.

Re: ibast regarding WD40 leaves a little residue I tend to keep away and use other hydrocarbons!

Cheers

9. Silicone spray and silicone grease works very well on electrical connections. Apply liberally and reconnect. Works especially well on spark plug boots.

Regards, Andrew.

10. Hi typhoon,
    Will have a look into the silicon grease and spark plug boots.
    Although I have never seen it used in that application.

Cheers

11. It's good. Offroad racers/marine guys swear by it. I've seen engines with water to the brim in spark plug tubes, and teh engine still running sweetly.

Regards, Andrew.

12. As an aside, in medical laboritories we used Xylene to clean equipment like microscopes because it has a very fast evaporation rate and through *magical chemical process explained a dozen times but never soaked in* it cleans without leaving residue and somehow drives the water off

(which is important when you are trying to count how many platelets there are in a sample)