Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mod's editing posts

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by pvda, Dec 29, 2005.

1. There isn't a suggstion sub forum so I'll put in the General section.

How come when a Mod edits a post there isn't an "edited by......" at the bottom of the post to show it's not as the poster posted as most other forums I belong to do??

I've had a few posts fiddled by Mod's (nothing serious so not stressed) but it opens up a tin of worms when it comes to changing someone elses words and the effect it could have on it's meaning.

To quote a few examples;
    One of my Threads had a Caps Locked Subject name, which had the usual "It's rude to shout" substituted in it's place. Fair nuf, I stuffed up, but no "edited by" at the bottom or PM to let me know it was done.

Another Post by another member had a large amount of text added by a mod (cut and pasted the contents of a link from the post) recently. Again no "editted by" but the Mod owned up when the original poster asked the question in another post in the same thread as to why his post had changed all of a sudden.

I'm not flaming the Mod's as this is obviously a flaw in the Forums set up which may or may not be able to be fixed so please don't give me more than 1 warning for posting this :p

Anyway back to reading about motorcycles :grin:

EDIT: Just to show what I mean.

2. It's not a flaw at all. 99.9% of the time it's called "memory" the other 0.1% of the time is time iteself. Most times I forget to state that I did it.

I do not change the content of posts, if a post needs deleting, I delete it.

In the case of Smee's post, posting nothing but a URL in a post is annoying. I don't want to open another page to read what the URL was pointing to. As I stated earlier, it is one of my pet hates, and a few posts like Smee's have had the content posted underneath their URL.

3. If you look at my original post, I just went in and editted it by adding the EDIT: line at the bottom & the Forum software added this;

Last edited by pvda on Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total

To the bottom of the post.

Other forums I annoy people on have the same thing except if a Mod does the editting (lets say Vic cos he's a nice bloke and wont get upset) it would say

Last edited by vic on Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total

That's what I'm getting at Vic, the software should be doing it or do you have to push a button to make it happen.

Keep up the good work (gee nearly said God work and that comment should be in the Xmas thread) Mod's (suck, crawl, grovel).

4. :LOL: couldnt resist, sorry :LOL:

5. I can see Warning number 2 heading your way eswen, besides you know you're not sorry. :wink:

Damn 1:30 already time for beddy byes

I really love our mods, they are great people. As eswen suggests, I would kiss them if they let me. Did I mention I really love our mods and what wonderful and great people they are? In fact, I think we should all throw a party just for our mods and all chip-in a gold coin to make it a free bbq and beer party for them. I really love our mods :)

Note: Sections of this post (ie. the last paragraph) were edited by a mod. It was only a spelling mistake! Truly, just a spelling mistake. I (the mod) didn't add any of the text at all to this paragraph! OK - maybe a few works. Fine, OK - maybe a sentence somewhere. OK already - the whole lot of it - including spelling corrections! Be like that then - hrrmmpffff!

6. true about the sorry... but youre the one who posted it in the first place.

and pfft warnings are cool!!! :LOL: Im gunna go look for some p o r n to post. haha.

7. Oh gee.. I never seem to get my posts edited..

I must be soooo good at getting them all right! Yay for me! :wink: :grin:

8. 1 warning for being smarmy, CBC :LOL:

not editied by anyone !

9. I must correct you Sir.. there was no smarm involved..

ALOT of condescension..no smarm :p :p

10. For reasons unknown, the software adds the "edited by" line to posts edited by users but not by mods. *shrug*

11. It (also?) depends on whether or not anyone has read your post. If no one has read it yet the software doesn't put "edited" in your post

12. Just a suggestion, don't much care either way.

But on one of my boards if I edit a post by someone, usually just fixing a URL at the base of the post I draw a line and do this.

___
    edited by Davo, url corrected

13. Well I guess the moral to this thread is don't give a Mod a reason to edit your post. Yes, we do edit posts because some people really don't think when they start a thread, I prefer to correct the post because people hate having threads or posts deleted.

But on the bright side of things it doesn't happen all that often as I don't have time to read everything. :)

14. I reckon Vic sux eggs

:p

But I luv him so much :p :LOL:

15. damn, i was expecting so much more just then. the dissapointment is so thick in my office, i'll have to cut through it with a machete to get out...

16. As if to prove a point the above appeared in my thread overnight :shock:

Although for a suitable percentage of the gold coin donations (like 25%) I may agree with the words written on my behalf :p :wink:

Back on topic, thanks for the explaination Vic. It's a shame it doesn't do it automatically to save you guys fom having to do it manually or in your case forget to do it completely :p

17. OMG my post has been edited too, the bit where I said Id kiss mods if theyd let me has gone!!!!

18. Same here
    I was expecting a better edit than what was written there :p

19. Why don't mods just wright "I do what I want b17ch35" :LOL:

Edit: w in right

20. Im not guiilty of editing anyone of those posts.