Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

modifying a 250 virago engine

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Initial Doug, Apr 12, 2012.

1. hey all i would like to put a set of virago 535 cyl and pistons on a 250 virago block. just wondering if it is possible? if not what mods can be done to improve the stock 250 performance?

2. First step would probably be to upgrade to motor to SRV250 specs. They had 27hp as compaired with the Virago's 20hp and mine scoots along pretty well. The main difference is they have twin carbs, different cam and I think had more compression (may be wrong with that one).
  3. Different engine AFAIK. I'm suprised the Chinese haven't started bring out big bore Virago engines as it looks like there is heeps of room for bigger pistons and it runs a pretty long stroke standard.

Might be something available from Japans. Do a search on .jp sites.
  4. Given the likely engineering involved, you'd be far better off selling the 250 and buying a complete 535.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. get an xvs650 and enjoy time riding instead of upgrading a 250 to be safe to ride at a faster speed [safely]