Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Modding a TW200 - Deus Ex Stylez - Need Help

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by plainfaced, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Hi. At this stage its a dream. But I think its quite possible with a bit of help.
    Basically Im inspired by Deus Ex Machina (you may have noticed this from my very few posts)
    Im wanting to purchase (as my first bike) a Yamaha TW200 and give it a bit of cosmetic surgery - Deus style.
    Ripping all the plastic, seat, tank and lights off, I will be left with something to play with..
    Question: What retail motorcycle stores out there do a whole rang of parts.? I'll be looking for aftermarket seats, tanks, and maybe just some standard headlights, blinkers etc.
    Is this always going to be a pipe dream for me, or do think this is possible..?

2. Wow PF...you've been knocked down with a rush of replies for this one, eh?

I had a bit of a look at the Deus site just recently - a mate sent me the link, and on the face of it, it was quite interesting. They have a great sense of style, no doubt. My main gripe is that I've been riding for a million years now, and most of what they offer is a wee bit small and low performance for me. But that's okay, not everyone wants to roar around like a loon.

My questions about the TW suitability for a project like this start with the tyres. They look phat and phunky...but how much do they cost? Ask a dealer. Wouldn't surprise me if they're hell expensive. But of course, I could be wrong. It's happened before.

Next area - the custom stuff. How good are you with the spanners? Sure, you'll be able to buy all sorts of bits to give a TW the "Deus" look, but you'll pay an arm and a leg to have someone adapt them to fit properly. I.E weld on the brackets, etc. Most stuff won't just slip on.

If you're confident, you could do it most cost effectively by picking through bike wreckers for the bits you need. Buy 'em. Adapt 'em. Fit 'em up. Then take 'em off, strip 'em and spray 'em the colours you want.

All it will take is time, some money, and a whole lot of patience. If you're not in a rush to do the job in 5 minutes, and you have some mechanical aptitude and plenty of passion, it could be done...headlight one month, tank next month...a gradual metamorphosis.

There are plenty of people around who re-shape, sculpt and re-cover seats, too, so that shouldn't be too tough.

Maybe start by visiting Deus and taking a LOT of digital photos from all angles, eh?

Think hard, and plan. Do you want to be riding, or spending your nights and weekends in the shed? All the very best if you decide to give it a go - with hard work you'll have a pretty funky little bike.

Cheers,

OB

3. Wow PF...you've been knocked down with a rush of replies for this one, eh?

I had a bit of a look at the Deus site just recently - a mate sent me the link, and on the face of it, it was quite interesting. They have a great sense of style, no doubt. My main gripe is that I've been riding for a million years now, and most of what they offer is a wee bit small and low performance for me. But that's okay, not everyone wants to roar around like a loon.

My questions about the TW suitability for a project like this start with the tyres. They look phat and phunky...but how much do they cost? Ask a dealer. Wouldn't surprise me if they're hell expensive. But of course, I could be wrong. It's happened before.

Next area - the custom stuff. How good are you with the spanners? Sure, you'll be able to buy all sorts of bits to give a TW the "Deus" look, but you'll pay an arm and a leg to have someone adapt them to fit properly. I.E weld on the brackets, etc. Most stuff won't just slip on.

If you're confident, you could do it most cost effectively by picking through bike wreckers for the bits you need. Buy 'em. Adapt 'em. Fit 'em up. Then take 'em off, strip 'em and spray 'em the colours you want.

All it will take is time, some money, and a whole lot of patience. If you're not in a rush to do the job in 5 minutes, and you have some mechanical aptitude and plenty of passion, it could be done...headlight one month, tank next month...a gradual metamorphosis.

There are plenty of people around who re-shape, sculpt and re-cover seats, too, so that shouldn't be too tough.

Maybe start by visiting Deus and taking a LOT of digital photos from all angles, eh?

Think hard, and plan. Do you want to be riding, or spending your nights and weekends in the shed? All the very best if you decide to give it a go - with hard work you'll have a pretty funky little bike.

Cheers,

OB

4. Double post.

Sorry. Server, him go clunkity-clunkity pop-bang-wheeze, me hit the button again...look like tool...mumble grumble....

OB

5. Hey mate!

I've done it to my TW200... here's some pics.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/marlon1985/IMG_1547-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/marlon1985/IMG_1548-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/marlon1985/IMG_1546.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/marlon1985/IMG_1549.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/marlon1985/IMG_1550.jpg

If you need a hand with anything, give me a buzz on 0405 416 564, email or PM me. The bike runs like a dream, is lots of fun and a fair bit quicker than in stock form. It has a battery-less kit, K&N air filter, new headlight, new speedo, new shift indicator lights, new breaklights, new muffler and some more which i cannae recall at the moment. It was a peice of piss to assemble - most parts just slotting straight in. (also helped by a mechanically capable dad - see the PRB clubman in the background)

In due course of time it'll have a long swingarm, flattracker style bars and a new seat and tank. My logic of spending the money is that I'm going to keep the bike for a while - when i'm on my full licence i still plan on keeping the bugger as a 'fun' bike. Turns lots of heads.

[EDIT: DOOOOOO it! And then we'll start a TW200 motorbike gang!]

6. Marlon -

Damn, that's cool. Too cool for school. And I LOVE the SuperTrapp low pipe! Well done! Oh, the ally shift light housing is sweet, too. Minimalist old school stuff. You oughta be proud....

OB

7. Thankyou Old blue, i like to think of it as the opposite of a Harley - small, handy, and when i modded it i took more OFF than put on! It does get some strange looks, and I usually have at least one person stop and have a chat about it. I'm kinda going for the 50-60's scrambler look. Almost there!

8. Super impressive Marlon - well done [img:19:16:2f993f4cfe]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/dwg99/GIF1/eusa_clap.gif[/img:2f993f4cfe]

Great effort and look forward to seeing it in the flesh one day [img:60:40:2f993f4cfe]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/dwg99/GIF1/beerchug.gif[/img:2f993f4cfe]