Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Modding a Helmet

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Blunty, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Okay, so I'm the kinda guy who likes to modify things and make 'em my own, and individual, for example, I've given custom paint jobs to both my laptops, and my desktop Computer is completely modeed with a custom paint job, window, neons, lighted fans etc etc) both my tatts are my own designs to make sure they're uniuque...

so my question is, how do I safely paint my helmet? (ie will the aerosol gasses from spray paint in a can damage the helmet or it's core?)

2. The main two parts to the helmet are obviously it's shell and 'core', as you put it.

The core is basically styrofoam, and is designed just to absorb a blunt impact. Thus, the shell is there to protect the core from weather, abrasive forces, and also to a lesser extent, protect you from sharp objects penetrating the helmet.

So you probably don't need to worry about damaging the core, but just make sure that you know what the shell of your helmet is made of, and choose paints to suit. And yes, the shells are different for different types/brands of helmet.

3. Gday Blunty,mate,ive got an airbrushed Shoei,(got it done ages ago) so i was thinkin maybe give an airbrush mob a quick call and ask them what precautions and paint they use when painting helmets.Good luck with it mate and make sure you post some pics for us when finished 8)