Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

mobile speed cameras; manned or unmanned?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by philmydang, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Just had this thought whilst driving home late last night, passing one of those ford territorys parked on mt ouselly checking speeds in the northbound direction.

Does someone have to be sitting in there sipping coffe all night?
    Or do they just get parked and checked up on every so often?

Reminds me of a story I once heard about some cheeky buggers who stole the plates off one of those cars and proceeded to speed back and forth infront of the camera with said plates attached. No idea if it was true or not.

2. I can't tell you how much I hope this is true.

3. Sometimes the operator will stay in the car, sometimes not.
    I believe some will watch from afar incase someone comes up and tries to harass them.

4. In Vic the operator who is non police, has to sit in the car and monitor the equipment and the flow of traffic. They are not supposed to be reading a book, studying for uni, watching DVDs or sleeping. Not that I've heard of any do9ing the latter part of my comment.

5. Someone I know in vic, took on this typr of work after retiring just for some extra income...didnt last long, he decided there was waaaaay too much excitement for him.

6.  Top
  7.  Top
  8.  Top
  9. Yeah thats what I reckon, would be too much excitement for me to. NOT.

10. I thought they had to be sitting in it - but could be wrong. Number plate story is an urban legend.

They always used to be white - i thought - but i have seen a couple of black ones down south. One of reps told me that apparently the safety camera car was parked in an industrial estate catching the local guys speeding. so one of the truckies parked his truck about 2 mm off its arse. apparently couldnt snap a thing - it made the paper apparently. Brilliant.