Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Mobile Speed Camera on Old Pacific Hwy

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by ElmoNinja, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Hello guys,

I was riding on the Old Pacific Highway this afternoon and on one of the straights, I was doing 80 in a 60 zone. Before I realised there as a mobile speed camera ahead it was already too late. I saw a weird red and blue light from the back of the car as I approached it, but when I drove past the car, there was no flash or anything from the front to capture the back of my bike. I was sure all the equipment was in the back of the car, and there were no cameras mounted on top of it.

Would it be safe to assume that this particular mobile speed camera takes/records pictures of the front of a vehicle only?

I'm still on my Ls so I'm feeling a bit uneasy right now :s

Thank you!

2. probably no visible flash required (infrared instead).

marked police car or van or ute or?
    red and blue light? as in they lit you up?
  3. Was it just after the bridge on the left, white van/ute with canopy?
    Sounds like you passed an under cover, might be ok unless you also saw a little blue sign as you went by.
  4. It wasnt a police car. It was a ute kind of thingo.
    Yeah there was a red and blue light that flashed as I approached the car, so before I actually got to it.

Nah, not after the bridge. Not sure which section but its the road with the "Mt White Cattery" sign that I always notice when I ride past.
  5. On your Ls it's only a 3 month suspension if it turns out you got caught, which isn't really all that bad.
  6. The last stretch of road before the Old rd café, one of the favourite places for a mobile speed camera set up and if this was the case they should have had small A frame signs out on the side of the road informing you there was a speed camera ahead. Good luck with it.
  7. .... you're going to need it.....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. #8 Hillsy, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    Those Utes have side mounted cameras inside behind tinted glass, hard to see. I never knew they had red and blues though and to warn you would be unusual, Good luck.
  9. Why would one of those privately operated mobile speed camera cars have covert blue and red lights,they don't pursue All the ones I have seen have that Tripod type A frame sign about 300mm high so not seen well at all in front and behind the vehicle. They started out being highly stripped but now there all white. They try and set up where traffic coming the other way cannot warn about them, doesn't seem to matter these days.The last time I did the Old Rd there was a marked car on the Helipad and I passed 20 or 30 bikes and got 2 indications there was cops about.Perthitic bit of camaraderie these days.BTW not that I am some hard charger but what with this road mainly 60ks any waring helps a lot.
  10. I just about fly down that Rd with all the helicopter action my finger does
    • Funny Funny x 5
  11. He'd only get an over 10 speed if he was doing 80 in a 60 zone, you need to get an over 30 speed to be suspended as an L plater.
  12. L and P1 get 4 points for any speeding fine and thus 3 month susp for losing all your points...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. If it was a Macquarie bank car, a 4 door (I think it's a hilux) white with chequer decals on it they take a pic out the back and get the front of the vehicle. So if u were on your bike u should be ok
  14. Took a while to understand your bank reference, why would some bank vehicle doing a visit for a home lone. Then I twigged the bank owns the speed camera company. Love there work at the Airport as well, blood suckers at there best. BTW I thought they had cameras pointing in both directions, be good to confirm camera is in the back and gets only the front so no bike threat.These things worry me, I have just about covered myself from the 10k and under busts but not from these random gadgets.
  15. I got booked by one at Mooney Mooney. Luckily only less than 10 over. They take a picture of the front and back of your bike. I saw my pictures online.
  16. Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I was just thinking about the on the spot police suspension.