Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mobile plan for calling overseas?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Orb, Oct 6, 2011.

1. G'day guys and girls.

To make the story short, I've managed to land myself a girlfriend in the USA \\:D/ Skype and the such are to unstable to have a decent conversation (AKA my connection is rubbish:evil:)
    So I am looking for a mobile plan, prefereably prepaid, just for makeing international calls and texts that isn't going to send me broke. Don't need a phone, still have a few old ones in good working order, just need the sim.

Anybody got any suggestions? I'm a little lost 8-[

2. Get a SIM card from Lyca Mobile. Calls to US @ 3c a minute. SMS 15 c. Even local calls are cheap.

Rechargeable from Coles, Woolworths, 7/11 etc.
  3. #4 Mr Messy, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Story of me and mrsmessy's early life.
    Run team speak or ventrillo on your pcs? Rubbish connection can usually still handle it.

4. Amaysim prepaid, same price for international as local calls, 15c per minute. They do bloody good data as well, $10 for 1gb for a month, bloody good value, only downside is theyre on the optus network so reception can be a little sketchy.
    I used Skype pretty much all day every day with my ex missus in the UK, then used it to make weekly phone calls back to mum here when i was over there. Shame your receptions not good, most decent phones have a skype port for them now as well!
  5. Oh and orb, good luck, but be careful. Dont get yourself ****ed over like i did.
  6. I'm on a Vodafone sim-only (admittedly postpaid) plan, international calls are included in the credit.
  7. you can get prepaid cards from woolies that were like 3 or 5 cents a minute to USA I think
  8. Or Mumble.
  9. Might grab a Lycamobile sim from woolies then, and try a few of these chat programs. Thanks everybody.