Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mobile phones when driving

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by dividebyzer0, Apr 22, 2013.

1. So I am in the cage, driving from the airport (in Canberra for business), when I see a marked AFP (Australian Federal Police) 4WD in front of me. Looking at the driver from behind, he has his right hand up to his ear. Get into the right hand lane and come up next to him, sure enough he is talking on his mobile phone, with another AFP Officer in the passenger seat. I look at him, and give him the 'what the fcuk' shoulder shrug, then point to my ear as if I am holding a phone. He sees me, ignores me, makes a comment to his passenger and keeps driving and talking.

I cannot get over how many people drive and use their mobile phone, completely oblivious to what is happening around them. The other day I was riding down Bell St (Vic) fairly late, and kept getting the red light. A 4WD i was watching was attempting to text and drive the whole trip. At each traffic light, we would stop, and he would get so absorbed in his 'cannot wait' text message, that the lights would go green and he would sit at the lights for another minute or two before he'd either eventually looked up, or another car would come up behind him and honk.

I have started riding again after a couple of years without a bike, and cannot get over how much worse the 'texting and driving' situation has become in the last few years. On the bike, I am constantly avoiding drivers with one hand on the steering wheel, and the other on their mobile phone in their lap, sending a text message. Its hard enough negotiating your way around drivers attempting to concentrate on driving only who don't see you, let alone the mobile phone multitaskers.

Rant over.
  2. You answered your own statement/question, cops are exempt from the whole mobile phone whilst driving thing.

I agree people are douchebags though, isn't Bluetooth in cars pretty much standard these days?
  3. It's only going to get worse, kids today communicate by text. I saw a kid the other day lose control of his pushie while texting on his phone, he landed on his feet kept one hand on the bike and not once looked away from the phone. Bloody show off
  4. As swaytan says Police have lots of exemptions from the standard road rules. The general Rule 305 of Australian Road Rules gives a get out of jail free card. :) However research has shown that even engaged in conversation in a phone call reduces cognitive time given to the driving task.

Cognitive load and detection thresholds in car following situations: safety implications for using mobile (cellular) telephones while driving

says that a phone conversation will impair reaction time by 0.5 seconds in an emergency braking exercise. Their conclusion is that hands free options do not help, it is the multitasking load on your brain that causes the problem. Police are not immune to this aspect of human physiology.

305—Exemption for drivers of police vehicles
    (1) A provision of the Australian Road Rules does not apply to the driver of a police vehicle if:

(a) in the circumstances:

(i) the driver is taking reasonable care; and

(ii) it is reasonable that the provision should not apply; and
    (b) if the vehicle is a motor vehicle that is moving—the vehicle is displaying a blue or red flashing light or sounding an alarm.
  5. Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that as 'a driver of a police vehicle can only disobey the road rules if in the circumstances the driver is taking reasonable care AND it is reasonable that the provision not apply AND the vehicle has its lights/sirens on.

Does this mean that it is illegal for a cop car to break the law before turning on their lights/sirens? How many times do you have a cop car drive past you on a freeway at 120+ km/h without their sirens on, or an unmarked car follow an offending vehicle above the speed limit for a given amount of time before turning on their lights?
  6. Goodness, the cops are human too?

Has anyone told them?
  7. Police have a general exception to the mobile phone law
    300 Use of mobile phones by drivers (except holders of learner or provisional P1 licences)
    (1) The driver of a vehicle must not use a mobile phone while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, unless:
    (c) the vehicle is an emergency vehicle or a police vehicle, or​
  8. Cjvfr left out an important part of that rule-

9. Sorry guys I have just got back. Yes @Day seems to cover all bases doesn't it. :) Cops have exemptions whether they have lights on or not. Whether the car has lights or not.
  10. Cheers guys, thanks for the clarification, no wonder he ignored me.
    I guess the next question is, what is considered 'reasonable'?
  11. Given that the cop decides what is and isn't reasonable, we'll consider that a rhetorical question, shall we?
  12. Right or wrong, he is the guy with the gun.
    I don't agree with it but facts be facts.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Since when did driving get so difficult?

Or do all drivers need to sit in silence in hermetically sealed capsules so that they aren't distracted.
  14. Given that most of the drivers have had their parents' incompetence passed on to them, yup.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Since cars started moving fast enough to kill people in an instant if a mistake is made?

It probably has something to do with today's smart phones. It's not enough to just send text messages back and forth any more People are glued to each other's Facebook status updates, wall posts etc. as well. That is to say, it certainly seems like people's infatuation with their phones has increased in tandem with the number of communication channels open.
  16. Get with the program people.
    I just got back from a trip to Indonesia where people ride scooters and motorbikes through mental traffic, squidding like champions while talking and texting.
    It works fine.
    HTFU ladies
  17. So forever then. If you can't talk and drive then perhaps driving isn't for you...
  18. I would guess the cop was on a very important call.
    Probably had to confirm the donut order........:ROFLMAO:
  19. agreed
    and the capsules, or chambers, need to be pumped full of sarin gas