Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mobile Phones Tips: Locked your keys in the Car?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by VCM, Feb 7, 2008.

1. This is good to know!

:shock: Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

It really works! We tried it out and it unlocked my car over a mobile phone!"

2. I'll believe this when I see it.
  3. That's EXACTLY what I said mate ... :roll:
    Actually what I said was " what a CROCK of SHIT !
    until I put it to the test :shock:

Try it and get back with your results. I'd hate to think I was imagining things. :LOL:
  4. what sort of car did this work on?? :?
  5. I tried it with my 2003 Nissan X-Trail. I was almost 1 KLM away.
    Called my mate, who was standing next to the front door, put the keyless switch close to the phone's mic, pressed the button... IT UNLOCKED the car! :shock:
  6. Since when did mobile phones become capable of relaying encrypted radio signals :roll:.
    Or are car remotes just getting crapier.
  7. Tried this on a Holden comodore, didn't work, I wont believe till i see it...

8. actually that is very easy to do (mobile phone relay). The bit I question is why a car alarm would be transmitting on mobile phone frequency (i.e. the frequency of the key transmission would not be picked up by the microphone on the phone and if it did, it is unlikely the speaker would be able to transmit non-audible frequencies)
  9. And the word "trunk". I call it a boot. :wink:
  10. Try it with a real vehicle.
  11. I'd question the OP's almost cut and paste of the snopes article...
  12. sounds like a conspiracy theory... and you know who shows up when there's a conspiracy around :wink:

it's abit far fetched, but could be plausable with a good mobile and the car's RF reciever would be strong enough to pick up the frequency from the mobile or "cellular" phone.
  13. I tried it with a Falcon (BA) and it didn't work. Also a Conformadore, Explorer and Holden Piazza (???)

I gave up after that :p
  14. I tried it was a VS sedan .. didnt work either.
    However I think perhaps both mobile phones need to be bluetooth enabled. Will try again soon
  15. In the Snopes article, it refers to the "OnStar" system. OnStar is a brand only, is wholly owned by GM and come standard on all USA GM model cars. We don't have OnStar in Australia, but the technology that the OnStar uses is called "Telematics".

in Australia, Telematics is dominated by a company called Intelematics. They provide White Labelled solutions to the Automotive Industry, specifically to the OEM's and you will find their products under the names of "Holden Assist", "Toyota Link", "Mitsubishi Diamond Trac" and an off the shelf product that can be retro fitted to most vehicles called "CarCom".

guess who I work for? .............
  16. I normally wouldnt post this kinda stuff, ( too much like 'bullshit' to me )
    BUT .. I DID try it, and it DID work !!!
    As I said, I will try again with another vehicle as soon as I find someone here with a bluetooth phone
  17. :rofl:
    I just hope it works for someone here .. otherwise I'm gonna look like a :jerk:
    re: CUT and Paste .. YEP, was sent to me by someone in email.
    But like I said... I tested the theory before I posted it here.
  18. are you sure you didn't already have the car unlocked?? :LOL:
  19. Do I look THAT silly Stew?
    ok.. dont answer :LOL:
    Honestly, I locked and unlocked the car a few times using the phone.
    That said .. I did have to rely on the honesty of the guy standing next to the door with his phone. :?