Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mobile phone suggestions

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Scottatron, Oct 22, 2007.

1. I am looking at getting myself a new phone, I work for a telco that has mobiles via Voda's network so it would either need to be a Vodafone network phone or unlocked.

Ideally, I want it to have:

MP3 capability (a couple of gig storage would be good) - decent sound quality
    FM Radio

I don't really care if it has a camera or not.

It also needs to be fairly sturdy as I have two young kids who are great at ruining phones - and I plan on using it whilst out exercising and I "might" drop it whilst sprinting.

So far, the Sony w800/810i have caught my eye, the Nokia 6120 and 6300 look ok as well. Also the Sony w700i looks ok (The colour is poxy though)

I don't want to spend a fortune either, I'd be happy keeping it $300 or less.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. I have the sony w810i and its totally awsome for music better then my ipod i recon
    i do believe you can chuck in a 2g memory stick or bigger
    ive got a 1g atm and its fine for about 200ish songs
    decent phone and nice pics from its 2 megapixal camera
    had it for about 18 months now and no probs
    hope that helps in some way

3. Nice, thanks mate.

I think the w700i can take a 4gig memory card, but it's camera isn't as good.

4. I have the 6300. It looks great, but its not built for durability. I keep mine in its leather case 24/7 and its still got a few scratches from drunken drops. If you want something tough, avoid this one, its no good. That said, its fine for everything else, it has mp3, reasonable 2mp camera, volume is good, etc. And you can stick large cards in there if you like (comes with a 128).

5. hmmm, doesn't sound compatible with two kiddies under 3 years old.

What's the sound quality for the music/headphones like?

6. Hmm, I was going to upgrade to the 6300 to use with a Zumo, via bluetooth. The case is stainless steel, so I assumed that it would be reasonably tough. I don't care about a few scratches (well, maybe on the screen), but does the case protect the phone from real damage Phizog?

7. consider a flip-phone if you want proper screen protection. my second phone was a Nokia 3200, and it went across the concrete floor at my old work so many times, the screen was buggered by the time the backlight died. (Lasted 2 years though)

the next one has the screen scratched a bit, but not as bad (Sagem X6), and the latest one (flip-phone Samsung z230) has a few case scratches but protects the outer camera lens and screen well

(The sagem was lost in a drunken stuper about 6 months ago and I found it a fortnight ago, and the samsung has been the replacement)

8. Flip phones and toddlers don´t mix thought.

Will

9. Okay, I currently have the sony eric. W300i, it's a flip phone, I'd dropped it much too many times! (including whilst riding along, my bag wasn't done up properly). It's very durable, pictures are decent enough, the music is BRILLIANT, can put on extra storage, comes with quite a bit. it's one of the walkmen phones, so it has everything i need.

has the internet which i never use, has bluetooth...

what more could one ask for with kids? :D

(comes in black or pearl/white)

10. Okay, I currently have the sony eric. W300i, it's a flip phone, I'd dropped it much too many times! (including whilst riding along, my bag wasn't done up properly). It's very durable, pictures are decent enough, the music is BRILLIANT, can put on extra storage, comes with quite a bit. it's one of the walkmen phones, so it has everything i need.

has the internet which i never use, has bluetooth...

what more could one ask for with kids? :D

(comes in black or pearl/white)

11. The sound quality on the 6300 is good. But to me it just doesn't seem like the typical nokia (doesn't skip a beat or care if you throw it at a brick wall).

Get yourself to a mphone seller and handle them to see. Next phone will be another flip phone. Worth nothing though that the screen on it is very good, quite clear and exceptionally vivid and bright.

12. My friend's toddler discovered that when you open a flip phone and stand on it it makes a nice cracking noise. And it is better if the phone is less than a week old.

Will

13. if you are after mp3's check the sony walkman range
    you will be impressed and it comes with decent headphone that you can use while riding
    it also cuts out wind buff inside your helmet while you listen to sweet tunes

14. I can't recommend the Samsung U700 :(

It looks cool, but if your fingers are dry [like if you've just woken up and are trying to turn the alarm off] you can't open the damn slider :mad:

Plus the touch-buttons are too easy to accidentally hit.
    I'm going back to a Nokia when this phone dies.

15. i have a 6300, and find it perfect. replaced my mp3 player and old phone in one go. takes up to a 2gb card. the screen seems quite resilient to scratches as long as you avoid putting it in a pocket full of keys... the stainless back scratches easily, but only cosmetic damage.