Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mobile email question

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by JP, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas!
    So, Santa really delivered this year and got me and iPhone! :dance:
    I've set up my gmail account on it, that was easy. Now I'm trying to get my uni email to work with it also, but what do I put in where it asks for Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)? On my computer I use my ISP. So I thought maybe I need to get the settings from my mobile service provider, but I haven't been able to find anything.
    Any ideas?

2. Lol, did you kick a cat or something?

3. If your uni is anything like our uni, it's non-trivial but there's a fair bit of help on the web site...

4. (and congrats and enjoy - I got mine a few days ago and am loving it)

5. Your phone runs windows mobile doesn't it? That's unfortunate :p

Yep, it's awesome! Apps store FTW!

6. Neg, Android ;)

Just stirring though, the hardware is excellent. The company imposed restrictions, not so much. But that's just me.

Anyway ask your uni techies. They should know off the top of their head

7. Neg, Android ;)

Just stirring though, the hardware is excellent. The company imposed restrictions, not so much. But that's just me.

Anyway ask your uni techies. They should know off the top of their head

8. Which provider are you with for your iPhone?

9. I'm on Three. I've tried smtp.three.net.au and smtp.three.com.au, both don't work.
    Android huh Josh? On a HTC? I just couldn't resist owning another shiny apple product :p

10. Normally you'd use the SMTP server provided by your mobile phone provider as your ISP won't allow relay through the SMTP server from someone on another network, unless your ISP has a secure SMTP server that you can use a user name and password for.

11. I'm with three also and I've used Internodes secure outgoing server since day dot.
    If you have a mobileme account you can use that smtp server. You should be able to use any smtp server that allows a secure connection that you have to log into, with the correct settings.

12. Try 'mail.three.com.au'
    (Note the word 'mail' instead of 'smtp')
    I used that when I had the their wireless service

I also know they used to be .net.au also, might pay to try if the above doesn't work.

13. it should be the uni's server if they let you use it,
    smtp.uws.edu.au or simmilar,

u might not have access to it, especaily if its a web based only server.
    login should be the same as your email.