Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mladin to Wrap Up his 6th Title this weekend?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by rc36, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Yoshimura Suzuki's Matt Mladin heads to the double heaeder at Atlanta this weekend, the finale of the AMA Superbike series, with a 21 point lead over his team mate, Ben Spies. But for the unfortunate crach with Aaron Yates at the round before last, Mladin would already have clinched the title.

Spies remains a mathematical chance, but few are betting against the amazing 33 year old Australian.

Watch this space.
  2. Round 10 - AMA Superbike Series
    Braselton, GA
    Road Atlanta
    Sept. 2 - 4, 2005

In a post-red flag dash to the finish, Yoshimura Suzuki’s Mat Mladin won the first of the weekend’s two AMA Superbike races at Road Atlanta on Saturday, which means he now owns the record for most AMA Superbike wins in a single season with 11 victories. Teammate Ben Spies came in a close second, while Aaron Yates crashed out while running in third.

“It’s been a great year for Suzuki all around and hopefully we can come back out tomorrow and win the championship,” said Mladin, who only needs to finish in 21st place in Sunday’s finale to win the 2005 AMA Superbike Championship. “Thanks to Suzuki for sponsoring this event and to my guys and to the Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000.”

Mladin had a record-breaking qualifying session in that he not only broke the track record with a time of 1:21.685, but he is also the first AMA Superbike rider to capture every pole position in a single season -- that’s 10 for the season and 47 for his career total. Mladin’s Yoshimura Suzuki teammates qualified closely behind him on the front row, with Spies in the second spot with a 1:23.161 and Yates in third with a 1:23.242.

With the start of the 25-lap race, Spies got off the line first with Mladin close behind. Yates brought up the rear in fourth. Mladin quickly moved into first place, however, with Spies in second. Mladin began creating a gap as Spies and Yates swapped positions. Unfortunately, with fewer than 10 laps to go, a red flag was thrown and the riders were re-gridded in running order - Mladin, Yates, Spies.

In the re-start, Yates, Spies and Mladin were all vying for the lead on the first lap, but it was Mladin who took it and ran with it. Spies stayed close and gave Mladin a run for his money, as did Yates until his get-off.

“It was nice to get the win, “ said Mladin. “In that little sprint race at the end, I lost one of my knee pucks so I couldn’t put one of my knees down and that made it an interesting race.”

Second-place finisher Spies, meanwhile, was already looking toward Sunday’s race. “The Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R is good, but we know what we need to do to make it better,” he said. “My guys are going to be working their butts off tonight to get the win tomorrow. But I’m happy for Suzuki that we got one-two - it was almost one-two-three and hopefully, we’ll get that tomorrow.”

Speaking of getting Suzuki one-two-three on the podium, Yates was definitely disappointed in his finish. “I was just pushing too hard, I guess,” he said. “I was trying to make up too much ground in too little ground.”

Yoshimura Suzuki’s Mladin, Spies and Yates will race the second AMA Superbike race of the weekend and the final race of the season at Road Atlanta on Sunday, Sept. 4.

AMA Superbike Top 10 Finishers:

1. Mat Mladin, Team Yoshimura Suzuki
    2. Ben Spies, Team Yoshimura Suzuki
    3. Miguel Duhamel, Honda
    4. Neil Hodgson, Ducati
    5. Eric Bostrom, Ducati
    6. Josh Hayes, Kawasaki
    7. Jason Pridmore, Jordan Suzuki
    8. Kurtis Roberts, Honda
    9. Marty Craggill, Mat Mladin Motorsports Suzuki
    10. Lee Acree, Suzuki

courtesy mcnews.com.au

After a shocker of a start, Matt Mladin battled his way up from way down in the pack to claim 4th place in the final race of the AMA Superbike Series. The race was won by fellow Yoshimura Suzuki rider, Aaron Yates, but it wasn't enough to prevent the Australian from becoming the all-time most successful rider in AMA Superbike history, securing his SIXTH title and his THIRD straight.

Congratulations, Mighty Matt
  4. A couple more stats.

Mladin broke the record for the most wins in a season, (11 wins), the most pole positions (10) and breaks again the record for the most AMA Superbike Championships.

Truly amazing.
  5. Yep, not much more to prove. Every pole for the year, 6 championships, next best has 3.

I would've liked to see him go to Motogp a few years ago, but I'd think he would be too old to make the move now.