Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mixing 'n matching tyre brands

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Gromit, Aug 17, 2006.

1. My rear tyre is due for replacement, but my front tyre has a good deal of life in it yet.

Mick Hone reckons Battlaxes aren't the best tyres for GSXFs, so I'm contemplating replacing the rear with a Metzeler - still the same size, of course.

Is there any reason why running a Battlax on the front and a Metzeler on the rear might be a bad idea, provided they're each the correct size and rating for the bike?

2. Tyres are a real personal preferance deal. Your bike may feel fine to you with different brands front/rear. It also may not. It's just a bit of an expensive exercise if it does not work out for you. You will not instantly crash on the very next corner you come across. But if you don't like the result, I will gaurentee that the offending tyres will not wear out. In fact they will last about 4 times the normal average lifespan for that particuar tyre. My experience anyway.
  3. I have no trouble with my Michelin rear and Dunlop front. So I reckon its not a bad idea afterall.
  4. Is there anything that the Battleaxes do that you dislike? Do they tend to wash out when your riding hard? Do they wear out too quickly?
    If you answered no to all of the above... i'd really question why your changing tyre brands (and models)! To me it sounds like Mick Hone is making more money (or has a stockpile) on the Metzelers.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with installing two different brands of tyres on the front and back, except that they will have different characteristics which may manifest in a not so positive way. The worst that can really happen is that you ride for a few weeks and don't like the way the bike is handling, in which case your just going to have to replace the front with a matching tyre for the rear.

At present i'm running a Pirelli Diablo Strada on the front (50% tread) and a brand spanking new Metzeler M3 on the rear (99% tread). I did my research and discovered that the profiles of the two tyres actually come out of the same mould, and as such they wouldn't disagree too much. My only trouble is making sure i let the front warm up before i really give it some gas, as the rear is a softer compound it gets to operating temp alot quicker. I'll be swapping to an M3 on the front as soon as i can wear the bugger out, but from my testing in the last week since i had the rear changed i don't see any reason in wasting good rubber.
  5. I was initially planning on getting a replacement Battlax for the rear, despite Mick Hone's comment. I've not had any problems with them.

Thought I'd head down to Pablo's on Saturday morning, because they're close to home. Rang them up today, and they no longer stock Bridgestones. However, they reckoned putting a different brand on the rear wouldn't be a problem...

I'm not particularly fussed, and in fact I'd be interested to try another brand by way of comparison - but only if having different brands on each end doesn't make the bike handle worse.
  6. Nah, won't make things worse... nothing quite like the feeling of fresh rubber on your steed. :LOL:
    On a more serious note, as long as you stick with comparable compounds you'll be fine! That means avoid having something like a Pilot Power / Pirelli Diablo / Metzeler M3 with a touring compound tyre.

Yes i know, ignore the fact i'm running a Strada with a M3.
  7. Well for my bike there's no need for a full-on sports tyre. A sports-touring type compound should do just fine.

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)
  8. Koma I would be interested in your thoughts on the m3 as i am thinking of combining a pilot power front with a m3 rear
  9. I have a dislike of Pilot Powers, although its nothing i can really base any substantial evidence against. I quite like the progressive manner in which the Metzeler M1's used to let go once they got the edge of their grip, whilst letting you know exactly what they were doing. From my understanding of what Metz have done with the M3 compound, they've made it a bit more like the Pilot Power compound (high silica i think).

My impressions so far of the M3 (after ~300km's) are that they're quite a capable tyre in terms of grip, i'm just not sure if they're going to have the same characteristics when i'm really pushing hard. They feel very similar to the Pilot Powers which isn't quite what i was after... but i'm sure i'll adapt. They were easily scrubbed in by the time i'd done ~50km's, and got a moderate amount of heat into them just from a little bit of Yarra Bouley twisty action. I'll report back when i get a chance to take it up to the spurs and really light the wick.
  12. i run free 2nd hand tyres that you blokes ditch with so much life left in them :) all different brands, compounds and patterns.
  13. Yeah, but stunting on a fresh tyre is a complete waste! That and attempting to keep a stable mono on fresh rubber with no centre flat spot always seems harder for me; it always seems to drift off one side or another. Perhaps i just can't hold a mono. :oops:
  14. The main problem as I understand it with using tyres with different tread patterns is that the fronts and rears are designed to work together in the rain.
  15. Kinda irrelevant, but is it just me or does 'Battlax' sound like something a fruit bat might take if he was feeling a bit constipated?

Heh, it probably was just me, but now I've infected you with the meme too. Mwhahahaha.
  16. I've had 2 different brands on the bike once. I've heard it's fine, so long as they are similar compund, or at least the front is not harder than the rear.
    The Metzler is a great tyre. I have had M1's on my bikes and the wear and grip rate is good too.
    Just my 2c
  17. I don't see why they can't be different.
    Front and back have two different jobs.

If it was a car i'd be happy to have differnt front to rear but not left to right.

I suppose having the front softer means youre less likely to slip the front wheel than the rear. slipping the rear is more recoverable.
  18. I chewed a Metz M1 rear in 4000km's on the FZR1000. I'd hate to see how quickly i'd go through one on a v-twin 1000! Fingers crossed i don't repeat that with this new M3, although i am attempting to be good and not pop mono's galore. :oops:
  19. Actually my TLR ate tyres like they were going outta fashion....The SP-2 seems less harsh on the tyre....I have just checked the Sp and it has M3 s on it... :oops:
    Twins are harder on their tyres that's for sure...just have to have the cash handy to replace tryes more often! It's the price I pay for love!
  20. Well if the M3 can handle the abuse from a v-twin then i'd hope it can handle the abuse i give it with my inline-4. That's actually one of the reasons i shy away from v-twins; because i engine brake aggressively on the i4 and chew tyres so the twin would just rip it to shreds!