Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mission R Electric Superbike Breaks Cover

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Kermie, Feb 6, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

2. jesus fvcking christ that looks so damn good
  3. with the exception of the big black box sitting in the middle.
  4. shut up lilley you're wrong
  5. Yep. Something not quite right about having the motor at the wrong end of the bike. I also fail to see the reason for the psuedo fuel tank, or why they would mount the motor above the gearbox rather than in front (thereby moving the CoG lower and closer to the centre of the bike).

Conventional bikes are limited in their styling by necessity. With electric there's the chance to do something completely different - yet this basically just tries to make electric fit in a petrol engine design.
  6. There's a hint of something that looks like a power socket in the other photos on that site, so I wonder if it's required for battery storage/computer?
    I also think people tend to accept change better when it's not a HUGE change, so may actually be a deliberate design "feature"...
    I think it's gorgeous.

7. Just like to point out this thing doesn't have a gearbox.. its 1 speed, the motor is connected directly to the front sprocket.

Being electric I'd assume it also doesn't need a clutch, 0rpm idle so when you stop the motor stops but the bike stays on.
    Virtually making it a racing scooter in the body of a superbike.

Plus I'd bet a fair amount of money that they engineered this to be 50/50 weight distribution, even if it doesn't look like it. The big black box could be the battery packs, which would weigh a lot more than the motor itself.

And now, imagine a racing bike with no 'fuel tank'.. what happens when you slam the brakes on, you slide forward
    My bet is its there for rider practicality, and would house the computer or charger socket, other random electronic things an electric bike would have...

[edit]: +1 being gorgeous too, kind of reminds of a KTM RC8 in the overall shape of it
  8. Sexy bike iwonder what the range is on this
  9. No, that's quite clearly a single-speed gearbox between the motor and the sprocket. Unless you're suggesting the motor is in fact hiding underneath that big round thing with the wires coming out of it.

Edit: Oh and as for "needing" a tank, other designers are a little more adventurous with their designs
  10. Looks pretty good. Why would they make it look like every other bike on the road in terms of basic design? Maybe so they sell? Going back through history, how many odd styled bikes have actually sold well? No matter how good the tech is in them, if they don't look like what Joe Public expects a bike to look like, they generally won't sell in the volumes required to make them viable.
  11. Probably more likely that it was just easier to do it that way. With the sort of pricetag this thing will likely carry I doubt most buyers will care what it looks like. They'll either be buying it for performance (assuming it does have an advantage over petrol), or simply to say they have one.

After all, people certainly aren't buying Prius' on the basis of looks.
  12. Apologies for the misunderstanding

I agree with you entirely, just personally wouldnt call something with only 1 gear a gearbox, perhaps torque converter but then it would get confused with an automatic flywheel... But yes it does the same job, the box between the motor and sprocket transfers torque through just like a 1 spd gearbox would.

You're also right about not 'needing' a fuel tank to be in that spot, but I sure as hell wouldnt grip as tightly with my knees on a couple open bars.
    Nor would my inner thighs appreciate hard braking.
  13. Actually it looks like it's got at least 3 gears in it judging by the outer cover, but only a single ratio between output and input.
  14. If you can find some definitive info about I'd quite like to know now.. Just tried looking at all the latest press releases and the best I can get is "1 speed transmission", they don't seem to go into detail about that particular component.

Looks rather bare when you take the battery out and fairings off :p
  15. "3-phase AC motor"
  16. Yes, that would explain the 3 plugs. I'm looking more at the RHS of the bike and the three distinct round bulges in the cover between the motor and drive to the front sprocket which look to be making room for 3 roundish objects (ie gears).

Would certainly be a neater option than trying to run a short belt or chain between the two.
  17. Oh yeah, gotcha.
  18. -Whats the milage between charge anthing less than 350km would be too little (remember that you cant just fill up so on average a max of 175 to the destination and 175 back.

-Also how quickly would the battery charge up?
  19. I've got an edition of AMCN where they review it - onroad, no less. Apparently its a heavy SOB (545lb = 247kg) with very intrusive regenerative braking whenever you get off the throttle. This can be dialed back, though, so its more like riding a conventional motorcycle with off-throttle compression braking. The handling is good for such a heavy sportsbike, although requiring some muscling from the rider, as would be expected given the weight.

The range is limited, particularly when riding hard, and it takes about 3 hours to recharge via a mains outlet. Compare that to your modern internal combustion powered bike with a long range and about a 5 minute 'recharge' interval. Factory quoted range is 240km, but I believe the figure they quoted on test was something like 130km of riding before recharge if giving it some throttle.

What they did like was the power deliver - while not a true stomper like the modern superbike 1000's, it did give a big wallop of instantly available torque at any time you dialed on some throttle. See that torque figure? 115ft/lb is equal to roughly 150Nm, and it available from startup all the way to 6,000rpm. That would be fun to ride!

Anyway, it does look alright IMO and apparently it goes alright. The quoted price was around the $30,000 mark and if you ask me its a good genesis for the road-going sportsbike. The only pain in the ass is that it'd be a reasonably dedicated track or fang bike only - the range and recharge time would severly limit other uses. It would be cheap to run as it doesn't require petrol, but I imagine servicing may be a bit hairy -who'd do it? And what would require doing? Past experience with high performance electronic engines leads me to believe that bushings and possibly core windings could become an issue later on down the track.

Either way, like I said, it seems alright. Especially seeing as its the first. Right now though, its rip-snorting combustion engines all the way as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers - boingk
  20. That won't last long, IMO. For anything other than petrol powered, you have to buy km's or road user charges over here, already.
    This will slowly increase to take up the slack the more hybrids cars /vehicles and full electric vehicles come in. That and /or levies introduced on top of your power bill.

Apart from the usual range and recharge time concerns that most of us have, what about the battery pack? What sort of life can you expect from it and how much will it cost to replace (for any of the electric vehicles for that matter) as another general concern.