Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Missing Wheel Spoke

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by iamahot1, Mar 13, 2006.

1. I've recently noticed that I'm missing one back wheel spoke and also one has come loose.Can anyone tell me if this is cause for concern? Should I get it fixed or doesn't it matter

thanks in advance

2. You should be tightening them as a normal part of the maintenance routine. As far as replacing the missing spoke, well yes you should. As far as urgency, well that depends on the type of bike and riding involved. With a road bike then it won't make much dfference, motocross or trail bike and it could lead to a collapsed rim.

3. thanx. I wasnt aware that spokes needed tightning

4. If it's a 3 spoker I think you'd have a problem!

On a wire wheel, Id get it fixed eventually, but I wouldn't rush. It'd depend on the condition of the rest of the wheel.

5. It would be a good idea to get it fixed. I had a broken spoke and did a long trip (3000km) and on the way back spokes kept breaking and by Mildura I had lost 9 spokes from memory and I had to replace the wheel as it was rubbing on the swingarm every rotation. Don't let it get that far (it still managed about 60km with rubbing thoguh). So over short distances probably ok, but try to replace it at some stage.