Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Missing Persons Week

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Aug 1, 2016.

1. As well as this week being Education Week in New South Wales, this is National Missing Persons Week. Spare a thought in your busy week for those who are missing, those who wait and pray for them to come home, and those who are missing, but no-one knows or cares....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. I don't know of the pain that people have with missing loved ones. But I can understand the every day pain. It just would not go away.
  3. Not so much missing persons but I think occasionally of people who have been a big part of my life over the years and then have drifted away. Having a true missing person in your life would be devastating. The uncertainty of not knowing if they were OK would prey on your mind. Hornet's post encouraged me to do some reading on the subject.

• 35,000 people a year go missing in Australia, one every 15 minutes.
    • 20,000 of those are under 18.
    • Approximately one third of missing persons go missing more than once. Each time a person goes missing, it is treated as an individual report.
    • There remains more than 1,600 missing persons in Australia who are listed as long-term missing, that is, missing for more than three months.
    • Of the estimated 35,000 people who are reported missing in Australia, more than 95 per cent are located within a short period of time (usually one week).
    • Most children that are reported missing are located safe and well within 24 hours. Common reasons for children going missing include a breakdown in communication, family conflict, domestic violence, mental health issues, peer pressure and drug/alcohol abuse. Only a small percentage of missing children are the result of stranger abductions.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1