Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

missing gear pin

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by 250ninja, Jul 26, 2006.

1. i recently got a small crack in my alternator welded up, and forgot to take out the small pin which holds a small 5cm gear on it. When i got the alternator back, it was missing. the welding guy denied losing it so now i am without it. does anyone know where i can find this small pin, it is about 5cm long and 5mm wide.

By the way the bike is a ZXR-250 (C)

2. Are you talking about the shaft key?

square or rectangular in section
  3. Go to your local bearing shop and ask for a needle roller Dia 5 mm x 50 mm you may need to buy four or 5 for 12 bucks or so or if your in vic go to SKF head office in oakleigh they have them over the counter

Another alternative is go to your local engineering supplier and ask for a Dowel pin dia 5mm x 50mm Blackwoods / Hales tool and die etc

Good luck
  4. If it is the shaft 'keyway' your talking about , most bearing shops
    eg: CBC bearings keep most sizes of keyway in stock, all you need is a hacksaw and a file to clean up the edges once you have cut it to size ( comes in about 30cm lengths )

and pardon the pun but then
    Bob's your uncle :LOL: :LOL:
  5. ok i had a look at a shop manual for a different bike, and it appears to be the idle gear shaft that im missing.