Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Misleading LAMS list ??

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Dakotabre, May 17, 2010.

1. I've been looking around for an upgrade bike, I'm picky about the look of them, and thought the best way was to go through the Lams list as I'm on P's, and google the pics to see what the bikes look like.... But I've noticed that the LAMS list, even the one on the RTA website does not list all approved bikes, for example, there isn't any CBR's listed on there, so if I went by that RTA list, then no CBR is approved for a L or P Plater, the Hyo 250 isn't on there either!! Does anyone know why the list isn't correct/full list? Or does anyone know where to find a complete list of bikes? - It says it was update on the 10th April this year so I would have thought it would be current and complete. As I do not want to miss out on buying a nice bike, just because I'm mislead about it being approved or not.

Thanks in advance.

2. On the last page of the PDF:

All scooters with electric powered engines are approved.
    All motorcycles with an engine capcity under 260ml are approved with the exception of:
    Suzuki RGV250
    Kawasaki KR250 (KR-1 and KR1s models)
    Honda NSR250
    Yamaha TZR250
    Aprila RS250

So by default all 250cc bikes are approved, with the exception of the above.
  3. the VIC LAMS list says "All 250s EXCEPT" and lists the exceptions. Other than that, any 250 is fair game. NSW is probably the same, so you won't see a 250 explicitly listed.
  4. NSW LAMS list
    At the bottom there is a blanket approval for all 250's, with exceptions.
    Note the spelling mistake.
  5. Ah, I guess it pays to check right to the end of the list and read the notes - stupid me! Thanks guys.

So it's just all approved bikes from 250-660ml listed on the that list....
  6. Don't worry about it. I'm 41, just got my "L's", and was fuming that most of the bikes I looked at weren't on the list.......until I scrolled right to the bottom of the list.

It's not the R.T.A's fault though......they're never wrong. The list is perfectly laid out, it's us, not them.:confused::furious:

7. Capcity
  8. I saw "Aprila", perhaps that post should have said "mitakes"?
  9. Not "mistakes"? :p

I found a mistake and posted it. Didn't read to the end hehehe

Hmmm... if they've misspelt it I guess it means you CAN ride Aprilia RS250's, but not Aprila RS250's!
  10. Nope, no mitake there.... :D
  11. The Victorian one has it at the top.