Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by emsie, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Hi all,

In another thread, someone mentioned that if you can't see what you need to see with the stock mirrors, that you gotta get new mirrors. I can search google till the cows come home, but it probably won't do me any good without knowing whether or not any old mirrors can go on any old bike, as long as they do what you need them to do.

Can I rock up to any old wrecker/bike shop and find the mirrors that have longer stems than mine and be confident that generally they'd fit my bike, or would I have to get ones specific to my bike?

Seems like a silly question, but I am a n00b, so I guess that gives me the right to ask such things before I get the hang of this ;)

2. You have to get ones that are a 10 mm thread. Take a "female" bolt into the wreckers to make sure if you like.

Otherwise, if you have black plastic rectangular ones I'll be happy to take them off your hands for some chromed round ones!
  3. There's an easy way to do it.

Rock up to the wreckers/bike shop on your bike. Get a spanner and undo one of your mirrors. Try out the mirrors they are offering you as a spare.

Simple hey?

It's not always a simple matter of having mirrors with longer stems, or larger mirrors for better view though. For example, I smashed up the mirrors on my CB250 a while back, so I picked up some really cheap mirrors ($10 each or so, I don't see how they can justify charging more) new. They had a larger surface than the standard ones, so showed more road, had decently long stems, and had a really smooth and clear mirror surface. You'd think they'd be perfect then?

Problem was, out on the road they vibrated like hell, giving me a vague idea of what was behind me at best. No amount of duct tape could fix this. I also tried supergluing them solid, to no effect.

I was actually happy with the original mirrors, but my local dealer quoted me something like $70 for a pair of honda one's :shock:

So you might be better off sticking with the stock mirrors. You could mabye see if you can roadtest any aftermarket mirrors before buying. Guys at the shop will think you're weird, but why not?
  4. not too sure if it would fit but i ride a gsxr 600 k4 and the mirrors work great i can see past my elbow and arm and see whats coming to the side and from the back
    i think they are abit longer then normal sports bike..... :grin:
    hope that helps in some way
  5. I got a friend to turn some stainless bar on her lathe, worked a treat :)
    Only hassle was that we then found out that although it was a 10mm thread, the mirrors had a 1.25mm pitch and not the usual 1.5mm coarse or 1.0mm fine pitch, so had to wait a few weeks for the new die to be delivered from o/s, as nobody stocked them in Australia. Supplied yes, stocked NO. :eek:
  7. You can also get mirror spacers if you can't see past your elbows. Just normally a small plat about 10 to 24mm thick the same shape as the base of the mirror, use longer bolts and your set....