Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Noel, Nov 26, 2004.

1. I can't see behind me on my mirrors (probably cause I'm big). All I can see is my arms. If I squeeze my elbows into my ribs then I can see half of whats behind me in the mirrors. The right side mirror seems to show me more of what's behind me than the left (both mirrors are the same distance from the centre of the handlebars. Is this normal?

2. Noel, sorry but can't remember what you ride. On a smaller bike, especially a "sports" 250 like "my" Across (note : I put sports in quotes to emphasise the word as a contradiction in terms and note I put my in quotes as well so I can be taken as someone qualified to make that statement...) Hopefully this avoids the rest of this topic being filled by Across bashing but I doubt it!

yes you will see pretty much nothing but shoulders and arms unless you have the mirrors angled pretty wide. Get used to lifting your elbows to see behind, positioning in the lane to increase your vision.

Most of all the rear vision on a bike takes some getting used to as in a cage you always have the rear vision mirror which lets you see directly behind.

I'm yet to experience a bigger bike but the visibility I am told does improve but not to what you are used to in a car.
  3. Cruisers have slightly beter mirror views becase you're not hunched over the bike as much, but it's still pretty scarce.

That's one of the reasons why I tend to like to stay a touch above the speed of the traffic, and be constantly moving through, changing lanes etc. Driving a bit more aggressively makes you easier to see, and it also lessens the likelihood that you'll need a whole lot of mirrors - you know you can skip into that right lane because you've just passed the car in it.

Also, don't forget to headcheck religiously.
  4. You could try the little stick on mirrors ... these give you added viewing and you can mount them to access the best available viewing area.

Becareful to allow some time for them to dry ... mine came off and hit the guy riding behind me on his foot lucky for him he had his bike boots on!!!
  5. I see those bar-end mirrors are convex to give a wider view.

I dislike the convex left-side mirror on modern cars because, as they say, "objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear". You can see there's a vehicle there, but it's harder to judge exactly where it is. You still need to do a head-check before merging left.

Although I bought a car this year with a left mirror that's only convex on the left third of the mirror. So you get the best of both worlds - a wide view, but no distortion on the main part of the mirror.

A convex mirror may be less of an issue on a bike because you'll be doing a head-check anyway. But I still prefer a mirror that lets you judge how near/far other vehicles are.