Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mirror Thread worn out

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by bjornzzz, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Hi all, I have a bit of a situation. I have a suzuki bandit 250, and the mirrors are the screw on types. So the thread of the mount that holds the mirrors is worn out and as a result the mirror does not hold still.

What would be the best option to fix this?

2. Depending on how bad it is you could try Loctite. Lots of grades of these so choose one that can be undone again if you need to replace the mirror. Some grades won't move again after they have set and others can be broken away with a determined spanner.
  3. The engineering answer is to get them helicoiled. They'll be a generic M8 or M10 thread so any workshop should be ableto do them. Then yu'll have a proper steel thread which will never wear out again.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. If the mount it self comes off, could you replace it? Maybe something like this from ebay or find one at your local dealer, a wreckers. Doesn't even need to be for your bike, just make sure it fits your handle bars, and thread size of your mirrors.
  5. Wrap thread tape around the thread to take up the slack.

(Thread tape can be found with the air compressor accessories at hardware and auto stores)
  6. Thanks all for the reply.

@Saneforest, unfortunately the mount does not come off, or it does not come off easy as it has wiring going through the mount and finding a spare would be time consuming.

I reckon I'll try the thread tape path and if that fails, loctite/helicoil seems like the way to go.
  7. That's very inconvenient of suzuki :p What wiring is going through the mount?

I agree, thread tape or loctite seem like good options.
  8. A locking nut