Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

mirror stems loose (really exciting topic i know)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by slyfox, Mar 1, 2006.

1. my right mirror is impotent, droops when going over a bump or when buffeted by the wind at 80km/h+

anyone know if there is a quick/easy fix on the zzr? seems to be a screw and nut coming from underneath the stem, do i just have to tighten this or is it worn out and stuffed :?:

2. try duct tape

;)

3. don't think that will help the resale value. or the cooooooooooool value :p

4. My left one insists on moving to show a new view behind me every time I get on it :twisted: just keep checking it & moving it back .....

5. Even tho this is in the wrong place :mad:

If its a quick fix your after and your selling the bike. Try putting a drop or two of super glue to hold it in place.

6. Or try a longer screw

7. Tightening the nut on the stem wont help unless the whole mirror assembly is twisting while moving, you could use the super glue method as PNUT said or some of the older mirrors have a grub screw on the ball joint you can tighten, but they can be siezed / very hard to find / access or non existent anyway.

Personally even if i was keeping the bike i'd either go with the 'superglue'
    or replace the mirror :)
    If your going to go with the super glue...
    move your bike out onto the road ( when there is little or no traffic ) have your helmet ON sit on the bike and twist the mirror all the way down and apply a few drops of glue, then whilst balancing the bike upright move the mirror around till its in the possy you want it in, let the glue set for a few hrs.
    Then happy riding :)

PS: once the glue has started to set, moving the mirror again is possable but not easy so you only get about a minute to play around to set it in possition.

8. maybe locktite? it held my dad's 1964 landrover togethor for years and boy do they vibrate :LOL:

9. I used a flat spring washer to solve that sort of problem on my bike.
    (I guess that is providing you can get it under the nut.)
    Available from hardware stores.

10. no it's not. :-k
    = right on the money :deal:

hmmm ok, i will have a better look at it, call brighton kawasaki and see if they can shed any light, and probably end up superglueing. cheers.

11. I thought Ducati mirrors were set at 'floppy' from the factory! :LOL:

12. Nah, that's Ducati owners - they buy Ducatis to compensate.... :p :p :grin:

<ducks and runs>

13. They were, but I sorted it out. :cool:

I discovered the phenomenom with my first midnight ride with the Ducati Club. Rather disconcerting to be riding around Riddels' Creek (read no street lights) and having the mirrors against the dorsal aspect of your forearm. Let alone keeping up with the Ratpack.

:LOL:

14. I believe its general maintenance of the bike to ensure that its in working order

Maintenance and Appearance
    General motorcycle maintenance, cosmetics, and appearance ?

:deal:

15. the two forum sections are so similar cross-over confusion is going to happen, should just roll them both into a 'my bike is broke, help me fix it' section :)

anyway if you want to move it go ahead :) ..unless you're a mod on restrictions and can't play with this forum :-w :grin:

how long til you can burn the L plate? :p

16. Loctite® Blue will resolve it, for critical stuff to maintain the torque of any fastner then Loctite® Red.

17. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: No restrictions here champ

Your right about the My bike is broken bit :LOL: :LOL: