Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mirror setup

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by JAKE2000, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Hi All

New to the forum and the motorcycle world, was wondering if there was any foolproof rule of thumb when it came to setting up your mirror angle. Seems that every time I am on the bike I tend to adjust the angle and can never seem to find that perfect rear view, providing wide rear coverage. Any advise will be tried.

Thanks

Jake

2. im interested in this too, but i fear that it is the sort of question that if you ask 10 different riders you will get 15 different answers.

3. There is no magic answer. Just set it up so you can see a decent chunk of either side and behind you. Consider mirror extenders if you need them.

Can never get the whole picture with mirrors, best to use them as a guide then check properly. Can always change position in your lane or tilt the bike to get a better angle as you've moving.

4. I can just see my elbows on the insides

5. Happy to give them all a go till I find one that works for me

6. This is correct. Set them so you can see as much as possible directly behind you without your arms/body blocking the view. This way it should be a wide enough field of view that headchicking will take care of the peripheral stuff. :)

7. If u ride a sports bike and depending on your body type, like me, u may not be able to achieve this.

I can easily see my entire elbow joint in the mirrors at max adjustment and there is squat all I can do bar put on extenders, whic I am not going to do.

I just tilt my head a little and ALWAYS do a wide head check if in traffic.

8. I have those circular "blind spot" mirrors on each mirror which gives me a great view of the traffic in, well, your blind spot. Still can't see much directly behind me without moving my left arm a bit, but then I'm not too concerned whats immediately behind me, just whats to the side and behind.

9. i have to hang mine down low to get a good view.. looks a little odd but works and helps with splitting and getting out of the garage. there is no real good position on my bike though.

10. Hi I set it up this way today before setting off to work and think for now this is the winning formula if your mirrors allow, just need to stop shifting my position on the seat so much

thanks

11. if youre a big guy on a small bike, the chances are your shoulders will be wider then most of the mirror and so it will be impossible to get a decent rear view and side view without your shoulder getting in the way. maybe get creative and find some larger mirrors like im doing

12. or get mirror wideners like I did :grin:

13. a rule of thumb that works for me is "your arms filling one third of the mirror"

14. you could get one of these

15. Don't know anyone who has one of those, looks cool but only noticed graphics not actual images which always worries me. Next someone will mount a reverse camera to the back and stick the monitor on their bars or something. Wiill stick to my wide head checks for now

16. My mirrors are pretty wide (or is it my shoulders are narrow?) so I have pretty good view in them. I like to set them so I can still see directly behind me but giving as much view to the side as I can (ie to the left side in the LH mirror and to the right in the RH mirror. This keeps the blind spot to the minimum.

The other thing I do is when you are stopped at lights in a multi lane road, look in the mirrors and use the other stationary traffic to work out what you can see and importantly what you can't see, that is, where your blind spot falls). For example If I am in the left lane and have a line of cars behind me in the right how much if any can I see any of the car immediately next to me in my mirror? How much if any can I see any of the car immediately behind him? Similarly if I am in the right lane with the left hand line of cars. The bits of cars I can't see is my blind spot. If I can't see a car there in my mirrors while stopped at the lights then I won't see a car in my mirrors if it's in a similar position relative to me while we are moving. This is the least area I need to head check before changing lanes.

17. I think you will find most sports bikes give you a good view of your elbows, I have mirror extenders on mine which puts them out an inch more and doesn't make it look odd

18. could someone explain these mirror extenders to me? what are they and where can i buy them?

19. Jake Grey BM has said it all but I too have my idiosyncrasies with my mirrors.

On my FZ1 the mirrors are awful and I have stuck the small concave (or convex I failed maths) blind spot mirrors on the upper outside of my mirrors and it suits me fine (they do take some getting accustomed to.

My Bandit mirrors are fine for me as they come but many Bandit owners are putting Mirror extenders on theirs.

This link will show you what they are.

http://www.holeshot.com/

Look for Holeshot Bandit 650 / 1250 Mirror Extensions in the Bandit 650/1250 new section and it will show you what they are.

Stay safe.

20.  Top