Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Miranda Devine on sharks

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Roaster, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Needless slaughter in the water
    Miranda Devine
    March 5, 2009

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/needless-slaughter-in-the-water- 20090304-8oh2.html?page=1
    3000503oped-200x0.

I'm not convinced I agree with her.

I think some activities are exciting because of the nature of the risk involved. I think surfers and beach goers appreciate the risk* and are happy with a live and let live policy for sharks. I reckon devine is a large pasty woman who maybe dips her foot in the water once per year (opinion of course) which makes me ask, is she the right person to be talking about this? I wonder how many surfers she approached to seek their opinions. I wonder whether she actually talked to any of the victims to see what they thought of this quote:

Surfing or swimming in the ocean is intrinsic to the Australian way of life. Humans have as much right to be in there as sharks

Personally I find the part about human's right to be there a bit ridiculous. But then again, I find most of what dribbles out MD's lips to be gobsh!te. I see this similar to a call to ban motorbikes after a crash resulting in a fatality.

What do you think? Do you think she has a point?

Should sharks be culled (through removal of protected status so that fishing for great whites is legal , drum lines, or nets) because we humans fancy a swim after work?

Do we have as much right to be there as the sharks?

Does MD dribble out gobsh!te?

*NB, swimming at dusk or dawn is risky as this is when the sharks come into shallower waters to feed - from memory this is when the attacks have been happening. Anyone using the ocean should really be aware of this.

2. Ants kill more people each year than any other animal.
    We can worry about the sharks once the ant menace is dealt with.
    (although personally I think we'd be better off culling the Miranda Devines of the world instead).

3. Really? I thought it was the Anopheles mosquito?

It's not my concern either way ( I hate the idea of swimming anywhere near large, fast carnivores, so I don't), but her defense of shark nets at least seems reasonable. Culling seems a bit excessive even to me.

4. Actually it's the mosquito that kills the most humans.

5. But I guess what I dont really like about shark nets is that they trap all sorts of large marine animals, including dolphins (and the occasional turtle depending on what part of the world you live in).

The dolphins that get trapped drown (can't come up for air) and the sharks that get trapped starve to death. I just feel that this is not very humane of us humans.

I wonder if there have been any studies of the effectiveness of shark nets?

6. Worldwide, yes. But in Australia it's the ant.

However being nibbled by a shark makes for far better sensationalist media than dying of anaphylactic shock.

7. Good point. Time for a re-design, then?

8. I've always looked at it this way.
    How much flake do we eat vs how much flake eats us?

(fairs fair!)

9. I like your logic, tramp!

Why don't we tether dolphins to the sea bed around popular tourist areas?

That's my eccentric idea for the day.

10. Just my opinion,
    But.
    I am a keen fisherman, and have seen a few shark nets while on/in the water and i think they do a lot more damage than protection. I have personally seen trevally, snapper and large groper dying in the nets. The only time I saw 'sharks', were harmless species. Such as port jacksons and gummy's. Banjo shark's too, but they are more VISUALLY related to sting ray's and such.
    I do not know if other places i have not been to, are more successful at holding back man-eaters or not.

My 2c.

11. She is a moron.

12. I find this comment interesting:
    WTF :?
    Last time I checked I didn't have flippers or the ability to hold my breath under water for more than a few minutes, and the ability to swim is something humans need to learn.
    I don't recall ever seeing a shark wearing floaties (or in their case, sinkies).

13. Miranda Devine is an authority on nothing but getting paid too much to write tripe.

Yes, humans have a perfect right to be in the water. However, with that right, comes the possibility that we will become part of the food chain for something with sharper teeth and we do, after all, have a choice as to whether we go into the water or not. Personally, I do try to avoid entering environments populated by gigantic predators with very small brains so I don't do much ocean bathing or spend much time around rugby clubs.

And, when it comes right down to it, even with the current spate of folk getting chewed, when you consider how many Australians are in the water every summer, attacks are still pretty rare.

It's just an excuse for La Devine to have a pop at her enemies du jour, the evil, shadowy conspiracy of "the Greenies".

14. I agree that she's a moron. She also hates green groups and is anti-conservation. My argument is that while humans have a right to be in the water, so too does any animal whose natural habitat is in the water. Culling sharks is NOT the answer.

There is danger involved in getting in the water at those high risk times. Shark nets concern me because of the potential damage they could do to other marine life.

She likes to fire up these kinds of debates. In her ideal world, there would be no trees or animals, just a giant concrete jungle full of people, consumers, and the odd fake pot plant in the office.

good one miranda.

15. Just a quickie from googeling.

Shark Attacks Around the World
    Each year there are about 50 to 70 confirmed shark attacks and 5 to 15 shark-attack fatalities around the world. The numbers have risen over the past several decades but not because sharks are more aggressive: Humans have simply taken to coastal waters in increasing numbers.

Shark Population
    While sharks kill fewer than 20 people a year, their own numbers suffer greatly at human hands. Between 20 and 100 million sharks die each year due to fishing
    activity.

The organization estimates that some shark populations have plummeted 30 to 50 percent.

So, as u can see sharks are not really a threat(as most know already). Danm, more people die in their pools than that. :?

16. But you're safe anyway - I always understood that they extended professional courtesy to lawyers... :LOL: :p

17. Just like anything written by that idiot Miranda Devine, I didn't bother to read a word of this post once I got past the title.

:)

18. it does bring up some interesting questions. ie how much more do you value the life of a human vs another animal. im sure most of us would save a human before an animal but would you sacrifice thousands of other creatures?

humans take a risk in entering another ecosystem full of predators, maybe have a bit of respect.

19. this might sound very...morbid of me but this idea that we're used to of human life being more important than the lives of other animals or bushland (vic fires) and must be saved at all costs may not be how things work in the future. Because nothing is more dangerous to the planet than human beings.

20. Who's Miranda Devine?

And why would I give a shit what she thinks about anything?