Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Miracle save!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by pringa8, Apr 10, 2008.

1. I dont know if it was devine intervention but someone was looking out for my bike! Waiting at the lights, behind a few cars, sitting in the ol 'ready' position. I dont know how I did it but somehow put the bike in 1st (must have flicked it with my foot??). Bike lurches forward throwing me right back on the seat, arms and legs in the air, as if i'd just had my legs kicked out! Bike stalls, throwing me forward, right back onto the handlebars, feet planted firmly on the ground, bike staying totally upright the whole time!!!! Even took me a second to realise what the fook just happened and how bloody lucky I was! There should have been a Firestorm lying on the road this arvo. :oops:

2. lol.... the angels were watchin over you ;)
  3. go buy a tatts ticket , its your day/week!
  4. Wish I'd been there to see that... :LOL: :p :LOL:
  5. That was lucky ! :)
  6. Ha ha yeah I know! God knows what the bloke behind me was thinking!! The funny thing is I dont think I really moved much during the whole thing, I was like one of those plastic motorbike guy figures stuck in riding position, tilting back 90degrees!
  7. I went to kick the side stand out (using my heal) on the Bandit once and collected the shifter on the way through.
    Big save on a gravel carpark with workmates looking on :grin:

Ummm yeah, I meant that :LOL:
  8. It's really hard to look cool too.
  9. yup i did the same thing 2wheelsagain.
    went to kick the stand down and 'click',off it went trying to mount a gutter.
    but for that to happen in traffic is too embarrassing to even think about.
    nice save GS,i can picture the whole scenario :applause:
  10. FFS...what is wrong with leaving the bike in gear, and holding the clutch in, right foot on the rear brake?

You'll overcome all of the problems/errors encountered above.
  11. Minor nit-pick but... that's not the 'ready position'. In 1st, clutch in, rear brake on (not front) and you've got 'ready'.

Not much of a difference but the whole point is that you're 'ready' to go at 0 notice if you need to. 'Lift foot off ground, clutch in, kick into first' slows you down.
  12. You'll find out when your clutch cable snaps and launches you through the red and into the junction :grin: .

Yes, it has happened to me.
  13. Hence the rear brake? I dunno it has never happened to me but I would assume having the rear brake on would be enough to trigger the stall and stop any launch?
  14. Things are, perhaps, a little different now, but I've ridden a number of bikes with sufficient torque, even at a fast tickover, to overcome their somewhat feeble rear brake.

I tend to try to preserve my clutch release bearing as well, so prefer to keep the clutch pulled for the minimum possible time. With a little situational awareness, it's quite possible to use neutral when appropriate without holding everyone up searching for gears when the lights go green.
  15. good thing too nathan, that yellow storm of yours is too nice to go down :LOL:
  16. Any bike I've ever ridden with a cable clutch would just stall if you dumped the clutch at idle.
    I say you don't use enough pressure on your brake. I'd rather run the tiny, eensy weensy risk of MAYBE one day having a clutch snap, than run teh risk of being made into a hood ornament.

Regards, Andrew.
  17. Good news then, with the clutch pulled in, any release bearings and bushings are doing precisely 0 RPM while stopped.
  18. I'll generally keep the clutch pulled if there's nothing behind me to cover my arse, but if there are a couple of stationary cars behind me (or a clear road for several hundred metres), a shunt is pretty unlikely.

Don't see how, seeing as the release mechanism is having to apply pressure to a bit of the clutch that spins whenever the engine's running.

I still maintain that using neutral when appropriate is easier on you and easier on your bike.
  19. My mental image of what happened is if you'd been in a mexican wave that had just come round :LOL:
  20. Not wanting to start an argument but..........tend to agree with others here,

In neutral is NOT in the 'ready' position as defined in roadcraft training as far as Im aware.............
    Being 'ready' is not so much to avoid delaying other motorists as much as to be in a position to immediately get out of the way of some idiot that is going to run up your arse :mad:
    Being 'ready' is also being positioned to one side or the other where possible of the vehicle in front to give you an escape route if such an occurrence should happen.........
    try that while being stationary dead square in the middle of someone's boot, arms folded akimbo, slotted in neutral while gazing at some skirt at the crossing.... :p ...There's a good chance you will become some 'bogan's hood ornament :(