Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Minor Servicing Pt: 2 - The Attempt (Story)

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Mark Gibbons, Dec 2, 2012.

1. First of all I want to state a couple things to avoid confusion, feel free to skip ahead but please no negative comments until you've read this; you can find the original post “here” - secondly, even though this is a story, I'm still requesting assistance if possible, including photos and a brief summary with my attempt, so I believe it does belong in this devision of the forums, if not, feel free to move it (if possible) or let me know. Let's begin.

It was roughly 3 PM, I'm sitting at a friends house shortly after awaking on a farm, and we decide to head to the corner shop. he owns a fair chunk of property, so we can legally take the bike almost all the way, and before any questions, he also has a long stretch of smooth road that was added to the property a few months ago, after purchasing a low car on a farm, it was what he needed to get the road put in;

of course, the bike wouldn't start, which was no surprise as it hasn't been able to for a few months due to a flat battery, so I tried to bump/push start it; almost an hour and a half later, I still haven't been able to do it myself, it seems to start briefly, and then turn off, I know it's something I'm doing wrong, maybe not enough speed; being incredibly unfit, and small, I nearly pass out, and decide to take a long rest;

during my rest, the local police arrive (as we've made it onto public roads, trying to push start it on a small hill) some-one has given them a call and said that there is a teenager who has stolen a motorcycle (me, and my own bike) which kind of is a genuine concern, I mean, I would worry too if I saw some-one running down a street with a motorcycle in a hurry, the police officer has asked for proof of ownership, which luckily I have in my bag, by now my friend has given up and went home, as I have finally had enough and given up too, I begin to push it home, this time, up hill, the dehydration by now is intense, :grumpy:

upon finally getting it home, I tell myself I've had enough, the battery is coming out! - I scramble around the house, looking under the couch for the hex-keys I need, and surely enough, I find one that fits, the only one in the house after months of looking, I lift the backseat up, and unscrew the bolt that gains access to the front seat, and I'm greeted by a whole bunch of wires, I see no visible way of removing the battery safely with zero knowledge, I can't youtube it, as my internet is borderline capped, and the sun is setting, after fiddling around for a few minutes, I diside to call it a day, and put the tools back in the pouch, along with my keys (I know, I wasn't thinking) and put it under the seat, and shut it. Straight away, after I bang it down, I realise the keys for the bike shouldn't be under the seat. UNDER THE SEAT.

by now, I can feel my blood vessels popping in anger from my own stupidity,
    luckily I hadn't put the front seat back on, and retrieved my keys. :banghead:

Unfortunately it's quite an odd-end to the story, but that's it; what a terrible afternoon of fixing, but I've gained some knowledge, like take water when you have a flat battery, and cannot properly push start the bike, even though you've done it at least 10 times previously.

If you actually took your time to read this, and for that, if you did, I thank you. (y)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Haha unlucky brother, better luck next time! :p
  3. That one is very different to my CBR; But It's still an idea. Videos are much better than a black and white manual filled with stuff I don't understand. :headphone:
  4. Sorry for the lack of info in the post mate, on the phone. I'm with you, I'd rather see it than read it. Will post a cbr vid if I can find one
  5. You've gotten really close. Well done so far.
    From what I can see, You just need to unscrew that cover then unscrew the bolts holding the - ve and +ve connectors to the battery, push the wires out of the way and slide the battery out.
    Just watch the nuts that hold the bolts to the battery terminals. They can be easily dropped when you slide the battery out.
    Screw them in when you replace it and they will be in position when you unscrew them again to hook up the wires.
  6. Righto mate, I've had a look in the CBR manual posted earlier, you want to download it and open up page 87 of it.

By the looks of this photo, you are soooo close to getting it out. You've already removed the clip that holds the cover on, and the cover, so now you need to simply disconnect the terminals (the + & - parts)

Because you're playing with electricity, you want to do this as per the manual, but it's a fairly straightforward process, I'll try and simplify it a bit more if it helps below.

1 - Make sure the ignition switch (key) is turned off.
    2 - Remove the seat and cover as you did in the above photo.
    3 - Repeat step 1!
    4 - Remove the negative terminal first. See where the battery has "ME2748" written in white? Let's call that the top right corner. So the negative terminal is the one in the bottom left corner (The one WITHOUT the red cover, and a (-) sign next to it. Just unscrew the screw, and be careful of any nuts/washers which may fall inside the bike when you take the screw out.

If it helps at all you won't be electrocuted as long as you dont connect the + terminal to the - terminal with your hands or a wrench/other piece of metal. Leave the red cover on the + terminal until the next step and she'll be apples.

5 - Remove the + terminal cover (The red bit of rubber with a + sign on it on the bottom right corner of the battery). This should just lift out of the way with your fingers and reveal a screw underneath. Remove the screw in the exact same way you did the - terminal in step 4.

6 - DONE! Once both terminals are disconnected the battery should just slide out.

When you reinstall the battery do everything in the reverse order to how you took it out, and take particular note of the order that washers (if there are any) are on the screws so that you can put it back the same as you found it.

Make sure you connect the red + terminal first, then put the cover on it, then connect the black - terminal last. After both leads are connected securely you should be on familiar territory, replace the cover, then replace the seat, and you're all finished!

Hopefully this helps, sorry if it seems a bit condescending, I'm not entirely sure how comfortable you are with the whole process. I should probably add a disclaimer that I've never owned or even looked much at a CBR125 (Or any Honda for that matter), so my advice above is purely from the linked service manual and the photos you posted in the original post.

As you do these things, particularly if you're not very mechanically minded, keep the manual open beside you (try taking it to a print shop on a USB stick if you want a hardcopy version of it), it will really help understanding how it all fits together in the future. For example, while you have the seat off see if you can also find the fuse box.

Again, hope this helps! I'm sure someone will chime in if I've got anything wrong. Good luck, and let us know how you go!!! (y)
  7. When you unscrew the cables from the battery, the screw comes up out of a metal part which is called the "post" of the battery. You may find in the bottom of the post is a little square nut which is actually what the screw goes into. These are quite happy to fall out when you pull the battery out, and are small enough to be a pain to find again! So, when you pull the battery out of the bike just be careful that these don't fall out. Or, take them out first. Or, you might find that your battery doesn't have them.
    If you buy a new battery it will already have these, so you won't need to worry.
    I find the easiest way not to lose the screws or the little nuts is to re-fit the screws once I have removed the cables. The screws also give you something handy to clamp onto if you are going to use a charger to recharge the battery.
    If you need to buy a new battery, take the old one with you. That way you can make sure you get the right model, with the positive and negative terminals or posts in the right positions, and get a sealed battery rather than a wet battery. If you don't like this type of stuff, you're not going to enjoy putting acid into a new battery.
    I hope this is helpful.
  8. Last "sealed" Yuasa batter I bought from Battery World they put the acid in it.
  9. I don't mind that - as long as I don't have to do it! 'Orrible stuff!
  10. Thanks so much guys - to answer the questions, i'm not comfortable with this at all; I'm incredibly worried I'll break something, this is like alien material to me, anywho, I just wanted to say after reading what you guys posted, and luckily finding the tools, I've GOT THE BATTERY out.

It's not on charge, a cheap charger I got for 99 cents on eBay; incredible.

Now to see if it works!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Let's hope my kitchen isn't on fire when I come back to it in 14 hours..
  12. Congrats. Don't hassle about breaking something. If you haven't broken anything you ain't been trying hard enough.
    If that charger doesn't do the job (I reckon it's only a trickle charger and may not have a cut out or be regulated very well) then just drop the Battery into Battery World or similar and get it tested and/or replaced.
  13. Will do so, some thing came apart upon removal, i'm assuming there is going to be some fiddling involved putting it back together. How much is a replacement usually, do you know?
  14. Yeah. It will be fiddly but that is all. Remember the order to replace the leads and the tip about screwing the bolt into the nut through the terminal to hold it there and then unscrewing it when the battery is in place is a good one.

Another tip is to have Bluetack handy. On my old battery I had to use blue tack to hold the nut up because the bolt wasn't long enough to reach down when the leads were attached. The new battery is ok. Bluetack is your friend.

Battery prices can vary and can be more expensive for motorcycles. I'd say upwards from around $120 or so. I think i paid $135 for my last one.

You can get sealed or unsealed ones and the sealed ones come in various configurations. Unsealed you can pop the caps and add distilled water when needed but, being unsealed, it can allow the fluid to escape.
    Lead-Acid is the most basic battery and it can be sealed or unsealed. I'd get a sealed Lead-Acid one. That will be cheaper than some of the new fancy ones but still has an advantage in being sealed.
    Check what the warranty is on it and if a sealed lead-Acid battery make sure they put the acid in there when you buy it and then seal it up.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. For the one you're using (ie a YTZ7S) - less than $80 delivered on ebay.
  16. Nice work! Let us know if it works!