Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Minor Servicing? (battery Charge, Oil, Etc)

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Mark Gibbons, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Hi! I've purchased a CBR 125R a few months back to learn on before I was able to get my Learners Permit (Age restrictions in Victoria) - I wanted to have my own bike ready for when I turn 18 (It's my 18th in roughly 4 and a half hours) so I'm in a rush to make sure my bike is roadworthy, and for that, well, It needs to start.

After a minor accident on the (actually, let's not speak about where) I had damaged the fairings and indicators. I attempted fixing them myself with replacements, and it actually worked with the help of my trustee housemate) but then I stored the bike away for around a month and a half.

The battery has died during that process, and not only that, but I think the spark-plug or something (I'm not mechanically minded, but I seriously want to learn how to do these minor repairs) I push started it and took it for a 10 minute ride, Afterwards I let my friend hop on (his first time ever on a motorcycle) and he stalled it, trying to start it straight away, it didn't even respond with the slightest noise or kickover, so I'm not particularly sure whats wrong.

Either way; If anyone local (I live in Heidelberg, 10-15 minutes from Melbourne CBD) would teach me some minor things, like how to remove, and possibly get this battery charged so I can see if it'll start would be absolutely incredible. I'm even willing to throw some money towards anyones way for the quick lesson.

I hope this is the right thread.

PS. Please keep a low-down on links, I'm not mechanically minded (yet) and from what I've researched, I cannot understand what certain parts are, and for the rest, I don't have the tools, so being taught first-hand quickly would be amazing. Even if I get my bike running, It's enough for me to sell it, I'm looking to upgrade to a Ninja.

2. Check the owners manual for the basics like spark plugs, battery and oil changes. It explains it step by step so you really shouldn't struggle with basics like getting the battery out or charging it.
    For charging the battery try a trickle charger, it appears to me that most bike owners use them.

3. I don't have the owners manual, didn't come with one. No tools either. :banghead:

4. #4 Brando, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    Owners manual for the cbr125. Link

Edit: And I recommend that you get some basic tools, even just some supercheap ones, they won't set you back much and they'll let you do a lot of work on the bike.

5. Skimmed over it, still quite complex, wasn't an actual visible diagram on how to change these parts, just simple things. Might just head to a mechanic, they have the tools. I've never touched anything mechanical in my life, I'm an IT designer.

I don't think an owners manual is the best solution, and I don't trust myself pulling things apart that I read in a book. Thank-you though, definitely saved it for future use. (y)

6. Page 86 talks about the battery and 87 tells you how to pull it out with a diagram.
    Oil information starts on page 64 spark plug stuff is on page 68 and 69.

7. mark now is the time to learn,,,,there are a few tools you will need to buy,a socket set and a set of spanners, and a few scew drivers will be a good start,these basic tools will last you a long time and will pay for them self in the long run ,,a cheap trickle charger is a good move all so ,if your short of cash just buy one tool a week and befor long you will have what you need to keep your motor bike in good safe order, there is more to owning a motor bike than just getting on and pushing the start button ,,, you have the link for the work shop manual every thing you need to know is in there ,if you carnt work out what your looking at use the internet ,there must be a forum for you bike on the web some where its up to you to get off your ass and do it ,you tube is allso a good help , the first thing is a work shop manual you have that ,,now is the tools, then you can start asking how do i do this or that ,most bikers are ready to help out a new young rider , the most inportant thing is to ride safe remember that its your life at risk every time you throw you leg over that seat , i will allso ask do you have all your safety gear yet , good boots bike jacket and rideing pants bike gloves , and a good helmut that that is a good fit ,

8. I only have a helmet and gloves. It's hard to find second hand motorcycle gear in my size, and accessories new are outrageously expensive. - Definitely motivated to learn, I just don't feel comfortable doing anything that could damage the bike without seeing some-one else do it before me.

I'm also due for a new helmet since my accident, It has a few nasty cracks and apparently some blood which I don't recall, so I think a new one is definitely on the shopping list.

Just recently moved into my own unit (and I just turned 18 today, It's my birthday) so money is indeed tight at the moment, just trying to get the bike running for it's roady.

9. dont worry about getting your bike running ,,,,THE FIRST THING IS YOUR SAFETY , you have the rest of your life ahead of you ,if you dont take your safety first, it may not be a long life ,, you have to have ALL YOUR SAFETY GEAR , and wear it when you are rideing your motor bike , i am not your mummy telling you what to do i am a biker that has been rideing motor bikes for over 40 years and have seen bad shit happen to riders over the years ,your 18 years old your motor bike is not a x box toy this is real life now ,,,man up and do the smart thing ,get your safety gear first then get your bike going and ride it , if it takes you a few months to save up for your safety gear so be it ,be smart and ride to survive

• Like Like x 1
  10. So Megz, what happened with your accident.

11. You know me? (going by the nickname) I'm assuming google plus or something.

Don't wish to go into to much detail, but I may have pulled the front brake a little to hard on a cold, rainy night at high speeds. Bike was okay, It's all that mattered, needed a new clutch lever, indicators, mirrors, and she seems to be fine.

I myself was fine as well, I have no idea where the red stains on the helmet came from, definitely not my head. I have a small gash on my knee (I'll see if I can upload a photo) - but nothing serious, I didn't even know I had the cut until later on that night when my friend asked in humour “Hey Mark, Is it that time of month?”

[​IMG]

12. I'
    I'm definitely getting the gear, It's something I want, but on another note, and It may sound stupid (and I completely understand your opinion) but my life isn't a huge priority. Being injured or disfigured though, that definitely is.

13. I will post some pics of the damage, she held up really well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. If I was coming over to pull the battery for you I'd have you do it anyway. I'm way too far away.
    The likelihood that you'll stuff up pulling the battery is next to nil. You'll find most people here have stuffed something up but this is unlikely to be something that you'll stuff up.

Start by pulling the seat off and making sure you know how to remove and replace it. On your bike no tools are needed - just the key. On this latest bike of mine my seat was a biatch to click back in until I got used to its peculiarities. Now I don't even think about it.

While the seat is off have a good look at the manual in the section on how to remove the battery and see what tools you might need. You'll probably need a Philips head screwdriver to undo the terminals or a ring spanner or maybe a socket and something to pull the cover off (yours has a small cover I think).

Next you just get what you need and you are half way there.

Mention has been made of a trickle charger. Just note that a trickle charger (alone) won't do a battery in poor condition. You can get chargers that do all functions but then the cost goes up. In your case I'd remove the battery and take it to somewhere like battery world and see if they can test or charge or replace it. They'll probably try and sell you a new one. If it was me I'd just charge it up and see how well it held the charge.

Start with that seat. Even if you get someone around to do the job the seat will already be off. If you end up paying someone to do this you might end up paying for 2 service calls - one for them to take the battery out and away to charge it and one for them to bring it back and fit it. The total work is only a few minutes but you'll be charged for a minimum time.

15. Unless you start with the positive terminal and whatever tool you're using touches the frame or fuel tank. ;)

Always start with the black negative terminal first, then undo the red positive one (can't short out the battery with the negative disconnected). Reinstalling is the opposite, positive first, then negative.

16. Yeah or unless you put a shifter down across the terminals. Zap.

17. Wake up and get some riding gear. Gloves and helmet is not enough.

18. #18 cameronp, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    In another thread that I don't want to derail:

Start by getting some spanners, a socket set, and a decent battery charger (something that monitors the battery voltage, not just a constant trickle charger). Lead acid batteries should survive being run flat a couple of times, so the chances are the battery you've got is fine. The longer you leave it, the more likely it is that it'll suffer permanent damage.

I live not too far from you (Brunswick) but don't have a 12V battery charger myself. Disconnecting the battery should be a ten minute job and fairly self explanatory (just make sure to disconnect the negative terminal first to avoid injuries caused by clumsiness around the positive terminal - the bike frame is grounded to negative so if you slip with the screwdriver while undoing the positive first, you'll short the battery out).

Did you even get around to taking off the seat like people suggested earlier? That should take less than a minute and doesn't need tools, and once you've got the seat off, you should be able to see how easy it is to remove the battery...

ETA: I am no bike expert or mechanical expert and this kind of job is well within my comfort zone so it should be a pretty good "first bike maintenance" project. ;)

19. I did attempt it today (it was a failed attempt, but I'm a little more confident. I'll write the story in a second thread, because it might a tad' long, if you're up for a read.

20. Try youtube. There is a video on how to do everything there! Youtube and a workshop manual and there is no reason you cant do anything on your bike, add in the advice from this forum and your set. I did my clutch this way a few months back, never attempted a clutch before and didnt have a problem.