Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mineral vs Synthetic oil

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Spocky, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Hello all,

Just did a search and didn't really find an answer for this so here goes:

I just had my new Ninja 650 in for its first 1000k service and the Service manager said that they did the oil change with Mineral oil and will change it next time (at 7000km) for synthetic.

I saw that this is a relatively common thing for bikes (not cars...mine has been on synthetic from the start) and couldn't work out what the rationale was.

Surely synthetics (modern) would be more consistent and have better properties of lubrication built into them than mineral based oils (someone mentioned consistency of hydrocarbon chain lengths etc)?

And if mineral oils are better, why change?

Any logical reasons for this practice?

Cheers Spocky
  2. Hi,

Here's part of a post done by one of our members who works for an Aussie oil company. Scroll down the page to the first post.

Synthetics vs minerals.
    Very quickly, both have their place. Which is better? That comes down to a bunch of questions, including what specifically is the oil's intended purpose. At this point in time, against popular belief, we are able to create a far better performing mineral based oil than any synthetic. The technology just hasn't caught up yet. How do I know? Years of oil analysis, customer comments, and field research has proven time and time again that phrase that I like to use- "It isn't the base that defines quality, rather the quality of the base and additives, and the correct additives that defines an oil's quality". Just because it is 'synthetic', doesn't mean it's better.