Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mineral oil till 6000km and K&N fail

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by varsis, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Dropped off my 2011 CB400 for it's first service at a Honda dealership and wanted to ask a few questions. I asked what oil they were going to use as I bought a K&N oil filter with me, the mechanic stated they will use mineral oil till 6000km... Isn't this way overkill? I was hoping to change to a sythetic blend for a smoother ride.

Not only that, the mechanic also said not to use any hi-flow oil filters as they can cause issues and have the engine seize. Apparently they have seen this happen in the past.

I have two questions

1.) Is this guy super conservative?
    2.) Are there really issues with hi-flow oil filters?
  2. It depends on your type of riding but 6K for a mineral oil sounds about right (but no more than 6K though before a change). I think they're pulling your manhood about the hi-flow oil filter causing trouble. I ride a CBR600 and run a full synthetic 5w30 oil which I change every 9K or so with a hi-flow oil filter and I've never had any problems.
  3. *No longer relevant
  4. Ampto, the K&N filter was an OIL filter.

I use a hiflo filter on the 9R and have never had a problem. I am using Delo400 too.
  5. You bought a Honda,questions are neither expected nor tolerated--suck it up .
  6. *facepalm
    How did i not see that, Whenever i see K&N i just instantly relate to air filters, my bad
  7. I have a Suzuki DL650 and at my first service a couple of weeks ago, Belray 10w40 mineral was used. The mechanic said it would be fine and synthetic oil was not needed. My next service is at 6000km and i will be using Gulf Western Syn-x 3000 10w40 semi synthetic oil.
  8. Re the oil filter - depending on the engine design, if the oil pumping system relies on the filter to regulate the flow, and there is also restriction in the return lines to the sump, it could be theoretically possible to pump the sump dry with a high flow filter.

I've experienced this with a certain car engine design. The rocker boxes filled up while the sump was empty, so it's not impossible. Whether that's the case with the CB400 engine I don't know.
  9. Thanks for responding guys, I guess it's a question of whether a 2011 cb400 is designed to handle a hi-flow oil filter... I certainly don't know enough about the bike to make the call.
  10. I guess I'm tempted to ask what's wrong with the standard Honda filter? There's no evidence of any shortcomings with the standard set up as far as I know but I'm keen to know if you have any info to the contrary. I continue to be perfectly happy with the standard Honda (Hifiltro) filters for my CB1300. The CB400 engine is essentially a late '80s design and I think I'd be sticking to standard filters, though the choice of oils is for grabs (I'm another satisfied Delo 400 user).
  11. I'd stick with the OEM filter, at least while the bike's under warranty. They might cost a bit more, but cheaper filters that look the same and even reputedly come from the factory don't necessarily match the quality on the inside. I doubt a revver like the 400 would be made with inadequate oil flow. Some might go for a higher flow filter with the intent of leaving it on longer, but skimping on oil, filter and fuel quality to save a tiny bit of $ in the scheme of things is usually false economy.
  12. Given the holes I saw in a K&N air filter I saw recently, I wont be trusting one of their oil filters; the rubber moulding had not joined completely with the filter material, it was painfully obvious by holding the filter to a light source and is indicative of poor QA.

Clean air flow is one thing that has a fair margin for error, but oil flow is absolutely critical.
  13. Stick with the mineral oil,as it says mineral,being a new bike it still needs to be run in,synthetic oils probably have too much additives and makes the clutch plates too slippery,theirs nothing wrong with mineral oils just need to be changed more frequently,and cheaper too chhers.
  14. I didn't realise that a high flow oil filter might pose a risk - I replaced my OEM with a K&N just over a week ago. I might go shell out the extra dollars for the over-priced OEM and ditch the new filter just for peace of mind.

This is an interesting break down, literally, of some filters.
  15. Mattb that's a gold mine of filter information! Cheers for the link. The dude feels like a brother, a technical mind brought to bear on an aspect of his passion - motorcycling. :)

I'm concerned now because I've exclusively used k&n & hiflo filters... Bugger.

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'
  16. May not be the best of the best but sounds like they do their job at any rate.
  17. When I first saw this thread, I thought the mechanic was making a case that there was an issue with high flow oil filters, rather than Hiflo oil filters. So now I appreciate the context of the mechanic's comments, which puts a bit of a background on the C grade given to Hiflo filters in Mattb's link.

Mind you, hiflo have been around for 50+ years. You'd think they'd know a thing or two about filters by now and a quick search hasn't brought up an internet full of exploding motorcycles or horror stories... so I probably aren't going to lose too much sleep over it afterall.
  18. Where did you hear this? Are you putting it on your tyres?
  19. Haha, no... Just what i gathered from the interwebs, synthetic and synthetic blends last longer and causes less wear, eases the work
    in the engine. It's all black magic to me.

The mechanic was mentioning all high flow oil filters btw.
  20. Exactly. Most engines make it to 100k without too much trouble, all using virtually the same gear.