Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Migration, Australia, 2009-10

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Sir Ride Alot, Jun 16, 2011.

1. 215,600 during 2009-10

A sustainable Australia?

In 2009-10, NOM declined for the first time since 2003-04. Preliminary NOM in 2009-10 was estimated at 215,600 persons, which is 28% less than in 2008-09, when NOM was the highest on record at 299,900 persons.

During 2009-10, NOM arrivals dropped by 11% (56,700 persons) compared to the previous year. However, NOM departures continued to increase with a growth of 13% (27,500 persons) from the previous financial year.

NOM contributed the greatest number of people to the most populous states in 2009-10: New South Wales with a net of 66,000 persons, followed by Victoria (60,400) and Queensland (39,700). The Northern Territory had the lowest contribution with a net of 1,300 persons.

In 2009-10, the population turnover due to overseas migration (gross overseas flows in relation to size of the population) was the highest in the Northern Territory at 4.1%. This was followed by Western Australia (3.9%), and the Australian Capital Territory (3.8%).

An individual's actual travel behaviour and associated characteristics are only available from final NOM data. A time lag exists before capture of this final data as it can only be accurately recorded at the end of a 16 month reference period following a traveller's initial border crossing.

Based on final NOM data from 2008-09 (a net of 299,900 persons), temporary visa holders contributed by far the most to NOM with 63% (a net of 189,200) of the total NOM figure for the year. Next were permanent arrivals at 29% (a net of 87,100). New Zealand citizens contributed 10% (a net of 30,200) to NOM, whereas Australian citizens with a net negative input to NOM contributed -1.0% (a net of -2,500).

2. I'm having trouble following the ins and outs of that.

I was reading the other day that a lot of Australians are going overseas the other day, which is part of what the above is getting at. The strong Australian dollar is obviously a contributor.

As to immigration, Labor reduced the number of official immigrants when it came to power.
  3. I guess it depends upon what you mean by sustainable?
    >> maintaining the taxation base in the face of ageing population demographics?
    >> maintaining downward pressure on wages growth, and by proxy, inflation?
    >> maintaining growth by growing domestic markets?
    >> restricting the population to an environmentally sustainable level?
    >> restricting population growth to retain the character (density of living) in our major cities without resorting to extra urban sprawl (esp. in the context of increasing oil prices)

I'm sure there are other perspectives, but the first three will yield a different answer to the last two? I presume your perspective is aligned with the latter two, Sir Ride Alot? :)

4. I’m just quoting Julia Gillard as that’s how she sold the message. However, going by her recent performance she would more than likely go for the big intake. I think the ALP government are aiming for 180,000 this year which is still very high.

Personally yes for the last two as it’s all about quality of life.