Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mid-corner you see the gravel

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Alguien, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Hi All,

Just wanted to get some ideas on this one that happened to me over the weekend.

I was coming through a blind corner (with the bike hard over) and mid way around spotted a whole heap of loose gravel on the road that the recent rain had washed down.

Now having read on here that you shouldn't brake mid corner I just lay off the throttle and tried to hit it as straight as I could.

It was ok, but could have been much worse. Is there anything else I could/should have done?

2. Thats what i have done when in the same situation, straighten up and when past the gravel lean over further so i make the corner.
  3. Hmmm.....you may not like the answer. If you go into a corner at a speed to which you cannot stop within the distance you can see (such as a blind corner) then you are relying on luck. And as you found out, it can run out. If you need to brake in a corner it is best to stand the bike up and that way you can perform an emergency stop, or at least wash off the maximum amount of speed. In addition to stand the bike up as much as possible when riding throu gravel so that it is as upright as possible. But the best solution is to not get yourself into that situation in the first place. I would suggest some further riding training that would address this sort of issue.

4. That's about all you can do I guess, you have to straighten up or slide off.

But I could also say that's why I don't go "hard over" around blind corners on public roads......... but that would just start another testosterone fueled "my d!ck is bigger".. "my chicken strips are smaller", "go hard or go home" argument, so I wont say that :wink:
  5. Couldn't have put it better myself. The advice about "standing the bike up", could be valid under some circumstances, and fatal in others, (eg understeer on right hander into tree, parked car, wall etc. I was taught 40 years ago to "never put the bike anywhere your eyes haven't already been".
  6. Depends to a degree on the gravel. Was it just a patch that could be steered around or was it right across the road? Was it deep or just a bit on the surface and how wide is it? These factors will ultimately impact on your decision.

If it's just a small patch, take your eyes off it and look for teh route around. If it's only a little bit, try and ease off a bit before hitting it then calmly take the corner and enjoy the little slide.

If you have a shit load of gravel that will bog the front wheel then hit it in the manner you described. Be careful though. On a corner you gave limited space to continue in a straight line. If you run off the road, you're likely to wish you'd taken your chances with the gravel.

There are two things that will remain constant. Don't focus on the gravel. Keep your eyes looking where you want to go. Also, don't panic. The bike may slip a bit, but if you relax and take the corner smoothly, you'll do a lot better than if you stiffen up or lock the wheels.

7. Your right iffeacam , me dick is bigger :p :p but i agree with you wholeheartedly , if i cant see around the corner i dont go as hard . You just never know whats there.
  8. If there is a spot where there is no gravel, I try to head for that.
  9. In the end, most of it comes down to 2 keys: road-positioning and speed.
    Road-positioning is the crux, the Keith Code (do a search on quite a few older posts) school of cornering-lines leaves ample way of correction/ safety-pockets/ standup-space/ brake-areas etc etc.

Entry-speed too high and the trajectory line changes to "wide"....somewhere through the bend.
    Gravel is best encountered straight and square (and/or look for car-wheeltracks to use), standing-up the bike is fine, as long as one's on the "right line" (tight to the inside), the widening-effect through "standing-up the bike" is within safe margins.There are many different scenarios according to the conditions.

One corner of the Strathgordon Rd. on the recent Tassie-Gems ride, was FULL of fine (1/4" minus) gravel. No tracks through it, it was everywhere, covering both lanes entirely, from just before entry to just past exit.
    Yup, it was a wobbler, saw it at the last second, hit both brakes firmly, corrected the line from outside-to-center-of-my lane to extend my usable"straight-distance", easing the brakes to stay just above 'slip-factor', keeping the bike as upright as possible I'd scubbed off enough speed to STEER it through, myself *hanging slightly* off the seat to keep control of the line, while keeping "feel" of the bike.
    That was with a pillion on the back, too, who thankfully stayed dead-still.