Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Microsoft Access 97 Problem

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mjt57, Mar 8, 2006.

1. I managed to source a couple of large csv text files to import into a database. The larger one has around 6 million records.

MS Access has difficulties with it and crashes. Today, when I tried it again, it pops up a message as I start Access (not loading databases or anything) saying "not enough memory" and then closes. A second box pops up straight away and says something like "system error. Not enough memory to run Access. Try closing some other applications and try again".

I have 1 gigabyte of RAM. Task Manager tells me that there is around 760 megs free. PF Usage is around 120 megs. 50 gigs free space on the hard disk. P4 3ghz PC.

Any ideas, chasps? I've shut down, rebooted, unplugged it, did a highland jig (yeah, I know, I'm odd), but the low memory error still persists. Yet I can start up Pagemaker and load a 140 meg document and still have heaps of RAM and resources free.

2. You have a self-inflicted virus :shock:

and it’s called Microsoft. :evil:

Delete it and things will only improve
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  3. What size is your page file?

With 1Gb RAM it should be set somewhere between 700Mb & 1200Mb
  4. Martian, split the CSV fike into several smaller files and try again.

Access doesn't like importing huge files, it gets all confused and falls over.
  5. This is AFTER I've tried to import the file. Access won't even start without the low memory warning popping up (and it just aborts at that point, anyway).

As for the pagefile size, currently it's running at 786,432 KB.
  6. I found the solution.

It's amazing what you can find when you actually go looking for help. I tried the MS website and its knowledgebase. Entered in "Access and Memory full".

Apparently there is an issue with MS Access and PCs with a gig or more of RAM. So, I've got to download and install the Office 97 Service Packs, which I'm currently doing.

I s'pose back in 97, PCs with more than 64-128 megs of RAM were considered "super computers"....