Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by vic, Sep 30, 2009.

1. No, I don't need it to find my "pecker" I use a telescope for that :p

Anyone have any experience with Microscopes?

I had one as a kid and had a tonne of fun with it.

I'm now looking at getting one for my girls. They are 6 & 7.

I thought if we got one, we can go out on "missions" and collect stuff to check under the microscope. A toy but an educational one too.

I'd like one where i could plug it into a USB port and record what we were viewing.

Is there certain ones to go for/avoid etc etc.

How much magnification is good, how much is not enough. What gadgets do we need etc etc

Any advise is appreciated.
  2. Vic, it's been a while since I peered through a microscope in Pathology and microbiology practicals and usually they were someone else's so I didn't take note of the brand. What I will suggest is that binocular or stereoscopic models seemed to add to the fun. But, these may be on the more serious end of the scale. :D
  3. My nieces got an EyeClops BionicEye for Christmas a few years back: http://www.eyeclops.com/

Plugs into the TV so everyone can see at the same time. It's pretty basic, and I guess not as fine tunable as a real microscope. But, they almost had to fight me off to get a go at it. lol

EDIT: I see they also make the BioniCam which is essentially the same thing but with a built in display, and can record video on to a USB key.
  4. Any "serious" toy shop, or (I suspect) the ABC shop would be a good place to look.

just my 2.2c worth.
  5. Maybe contact a school or university??
  6. vic get something like a meiji 1.5x up to 4x. get some petri dishes or just some clear glass containers stick some gelatine or something like that in there. Get your kids to lick it then put it in a warm cupboard get it out in a few days and have a look at what's grown. When I did embryology years ago for an IVF lab it was amazing some of the structures you would see growing